Pulis Reveals the Reason Butland Rejected Chelsea
By Adrian Back | February 26, 2013 4:25 AM EST
Stoke manager Tony Pulis has spoken of the reasons that he was able to lure goalkeeper Jack Butland to the Britannia Stadium despite their being serious interest from Chelsea.
Butland came to prominence while playing on loan for Cheltenham and was handed the chance to represent Team GB at the London Olympics. He had never even made an appearance for his parent club Birmingham at this point but was soon attracting interest from a number of Premier league sides.
Chelsea decided to make an offer during the January transfer window but Butland rejected the move and instead decided to join Stoke who agreed to loan him back to Birmingham for the remainder of the season.
With Asmir Begovic currently impressing as the Stoke number one, Pulis was quizzed on why Butland decided to join Stoke instead of a top four club like Chelsea.
"I think he's looked the opportunity given to [Ryan] Shawcross when he was a nineteen-year-old coming into the club and playing for the first team," said Pulis. "Marc Wilson as a twenty-year-old coming into the club and playing, Steven N'Zonzi is only 24, so we are starting to put together a really exciting group of young players.
"Add to that Butland and Brek Shea, a young international left sided player, who we think has got the identity suitable for our club. We hope that group will grow alongside the football club."
There have been suggestions that Begovic could leave at the end of the season and that Butland was signed to be his successor. However, Pulis has made it clear that they had been tracking the England international for some time and simply found the opportunity to sign him too good to turn down.
"We think we've got three wonderful goalkeepers at the club. Begovic,[Thomas] Sorensen and Carlo Nash have all been fantastic for us but we've followed Butland for eighteen months, and we think he is an outstanding young goalkeeper," added Pulis.
"To get him at the price that we've got him, we think that's a steal, and although he's got a lot of work to do yet, we think it's a gamble worth taking.
"He's a committed lad who wants to be a professional footballer; he's got the natural ability and determination that is crucial in life to achieve what you want. Players like that are always welcome at Stoke, especially at that age."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 US Open: Down Goes Maria Sharapova, BF Grigor Dimitrov Advances
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers