Pulis Reveals the Reason Butland Rejected Chelsea
By Adrian Back | February 26, 2013 4:25 AM EST
Stoke manager Tony Pulis has spoken of the reasons that he was able to lure goalkeeper Jack Butland to the Britannia Stadium despite their being serious interest from Chelsea.
Butland came to prominence while playing on loan for Cheltenham and was handed the chance to represent Team GB at the London Olympics. He had never even made an appearance for his parent club Birmingham at this point but was soon attracting interest from a number of Premier league sides.
Chelsea decided to make an offer during the January transfer window but Butland rejected the move and instead decided to join Stoke who agreed to loan him back to Birmingham for the remainder of the season.
With Asmir Begovic currently impressing as the Stoke number one, Pulis was quizzed on why Butland decided to join Stoke instead of a top four club like Chelsea.
"I think he's looked the opportunity given to [Ryan] Shawcross when he was a nineteen-year-old coming into the club and playing for the first team," said Pulis. "Marc Wilson as a twenty-year-old coming into the club and playing, Steven N'Zonzi is only 24, so we are starting to put together a really exciting group of young players.
"Add to that Butland and Brek Shea, a young international left sided player, who we think has got the identity suitable for our club. We hope that group will grow alongside the football club."
There have been suggestions that Begovic could leave at the end of the season and that Butland was signed to be his successor. However, Pulis has made it clear that they had been tracking the England international for some time and simply found the opportunity to sign him too good to turn down.
"We think we've got three wonderful goalkeepers at the club. Begovic,[Thomas] Sorensen and Carlo Nash have all been fantastic for us but we've followed Butland for eighteen months, and we think he is an outstanding young goalkeeper," added Pulis.
"To get him at the price that we've got him, we think that's a steal, and although he's got a lot of work to do yet, we think it's a gamble worth taking.
"He's a committed lad who wants to be a professional footballer; he's got the natural ability and determination that is crucial in life to achieve what you want. Players like that are always welcome at Stoke, especially at that age."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tim Tebow Stars in SEC Network Commercial
- Fernando Alonso Describes Michael Schumacher as the Strongest Opponent He Has Faced in F1
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Serena Williams and Patrick Mouratoglou Break-up Unlikely, Coach Posts Instagram Photos of Girlfriend
- UFC President Dana White Says He is Very Excited for Anderson Silva’s Comeback in January
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff