19 Arrested At Mall: Teens Jumped On Cars, Screamed During Ford City Mall Ruckus In Chicago
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 26, 2013 1:27 AM EST
Two people were sent to the hospital and 19 teenagers were arrested over the weekend when the rowdy group yelled and screamed throughout the Ford City Mall in Chicago.
"A group of older youths came into the mall with the intent of causing havoc and chaos and were running through the mall, screaming, yelling and so forth," Ford City Mall senior manager John Sarama told the Chicago Tribune.
The ruckus continued outside the Ford City Mall, where some of the teens climbed on top of cars and as many as 200 people damaged vehicle at the mall parking lot, according to a police report of the incident.
Nineteen teenagers, both male and female and ranging in age from 13 to 18, were arrested in the disturbance, Chicago Police Department spokeswoman Laura Kubiak told the Associated Press.
The free-for-all began around 4:45 p.m. Thursday when a large group of rowdy teens ran through the mall screaming, a mall official told the Chicago Tribune.
Ford City officials close the mall minutes later, but the mayhem spilled over to the parking lot.
Two people were injured – a bus driver and a “kid” – and 19 teenagers were arrested during the incident, the Tribune reported. The bus driver sustained minor injuries while a “kid” was also “hurt” but in good condition. Both injured victims were taken to area hospitals, Chicago Fire Department Chief Joe Roccasalva told the paper.
Mall officials struggled to comprehend how the disturbance started.
"Ford City is a family-oriented mall," Sarama told the Tribune. "We have not had an incident like this [in the past], and I'm still in a little bit of a state of shock actually.”
Nearly 50 police cars and a helicopter swarmed the scene as some of the teens jumped on both parking and moving cars, the police report read.
When the teenagers did not heed police warnings to stop their behavior, 19 of the teens were arrested, the Tribune reported.
Most of the 19 arrested were charged with misdemeanor mob action, according to the AP. One of the teens, a 16-year-old, was charged with battery of a mall security guard who was trying to flee the mall.
The boy band Mindless Behavior played at Ford City about 45 minutes before the disturbance occurred, but Sarama said the appearance did not cause the incident. About 1,000 people attended a Mindless Behavior autograph signing.
The mall did not suffer any damage from the disturbance, according to the Tribune. Ford City reopened Sunday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]