United Target Summer Deal For Experienced Defender - Report
By Vanessa Keller | February 26, 2013 1:01 AM EST
Manchester United are believed to be chasing the signature of Swansea City captain Ashley Williams, according to reports, with the defender high on Sir Alex Ferguson's wish list of potential new recruits to develop an ageing back-four.
United are currently 12 points clear at the top of the table and having netted 64 goals this season, with Robin van Persie in toe, are the leading scorers in the Premier League
However, the same can't be said for their much changed defence which has suffered from injury to the likes of Nemanja Vidic, Rio Ferdinand and Jonny Evans, and a spell of form which saw United concede the first goal in 15 of their first 23 games.
While the recent return of Vidic and Ferdinand has led to more consistency at the back, the Daily Mirror and The People are both suggesting that Ferguson is still considering a shock move for Williams, who lifted the Capital One Cup with Swansea after they thrashed Bradford at Wembley on Sunday.
Ferguson has a colourful history with Williams, having claimed earlier this season that the 28 year old could have killed Robin van Persie after kicking the ball at the Dutchman's head during the 1-1 draw between the two sides in December.
But with Ferdinand out of contract in the summer, local media are claiming that the Scot is willing to put aside his past differences with Williams in order to retain the element of experience in his defence.
While the January transfer window was typically quiet for Ferguson, bar the signing of Crystal Palace winger Wilfried Zaha, this summer will no doubt be spent continuing to bolster a squad hoping to warn off the challenge of Manchester City once again.
Ferguson outmuscled City advisory Roberto Mancini in the summer of 2012; clinching a deal for Van Persie, who won last season's PFA Players Player of the Year award and the Premier League golden boot.
There would no doubt be questions over Williams' ability to make the step up to one of England's top clubs in his late 20s, but should Ferguson be looking for an established player who has proven himself in the Premier League, he need look no further than the Wales skipper.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Dallas Cowboys Have Worst Linebackers in History, Tony Romo To Miss Games Again – Gerry Fraley
- Top 10 Highest Paid Tennis Players
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped