United Target Summer Deal For Experienced Defender - Report
By Vanessa Keller | February 26, 2013 1:01 AM EST
Manchester United are believed to be chasing the signature of Swansea City captain Ashley Williams, according to reports, with the defender high on Sir Alex Ferguson's wish list of potential new recruits to develop an ageing back-four.
United are currently 12 points clear at the top of the table and having netted 64 goals this season, with Robin van Persie in toe, are the leading scorers in the Premier League
However, the same can't be said for their much changed defence which has suffered from injury to the likes of Nemanja Vidic, Rio Ferdinand and Jonny Evans, and a spell of form which saw United concede the first goal in 15 of their first 23 games.
While the recent return of Vidic and Ferdinand has led to more consistency at the back, the Daily Mirror and The People are both suggesting that Ferguson is still considering a shock move for Williams, who lifted the Capital One Cup with Swansea after they thrashed Bradford at Wembley on Sunday.
Ferguson has a colourful history with Williams, having claimed earlier this season that the 28 year old could have killed Robin van Persie after kicking the ball at the Dutchman's head during the 1-1 draw between the two sides in December.
But with Ferdinand out of contract in the summer, local media are claiming that the Scot is willing to put aside his past differences with Williams in order to retain the element of experience in his defence.
While the January transfer window was typically quiet for Ferguson, bar the signing of Crystal Palace winger Wilfried Zaha, this summer will no doubt be spent continuing to bolster a squad hoping to warn off the challenge of Manchester City once again.
Ferguson outmuscled City advisory Roberto Mancini in the summer of 2012; clinching a deal for Van Persie, who won last season's PFA Players Player of the Year award and the Premier League golden boot.
There would no doubt be questions over Williams' ability to make the step up to one of England's top clubs in his late 20s, but should Ferguson be looking for an established player who has proven himself in the Premier League, he need look no further than the Wales skipper.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues