Arsenal Chasing Duo In Preparation For Summer Spending Spree – Report
By Vanessa Keller | February 26, 2013 1:01 AM EST
Arsenal have put African defender Stoppila Sunzu and Newcastle star Yohan Cabaye at the top of their transfer wishlist, according to reports, with the club looking to purchase a host of new players to get back to their title challenging ways.
Sunzu has been linked with possible moves to the Premier League in the past, with the centre-back taking Zambia to win the Africa Cup of Nations in 2012.
While he was considering a new deal with Congolese club TP Mazembe, Sunderland and Reading were both keeping tabs on the situation, but now that the 23-year-old has signed a new contract, Arsenal look to be the only side with the budget to meet their £4 million asking price.
Arsene Wenger is currently under fire over his side's performance this season, and with supporters growing increasingly unhappy with the club as they struggle to compete for trophies, it would seem a big summer is on the cards if Wenger hopes to get the fans back on side.
And with the Frenchman well known for finding talent before it's been discovered - and had the price hiked up accordingly - by other clubs, Metro claims he is looking at bringing Sunzu in to give more depth to his defensive line-up, who have once again been depleted by injuries this season.
Meanwhile, the Express is reporting that the north London club will also square up with Manchester United in the hopes of purchasing Cabaye, with the £15 million-rated Toon midfielder a highly sought-after target in the summer as Wenger considers spending up to £70 million on new talent.
Newcastle are close to facing a relegation battle this season, a huge fall from grace after their fifth-placed finish in 2012.
And with that in mind, Arsenal and United will know that with disappointment this season comes the possibility that Cabaye may also be tempted by a move elsewhere.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales