Liverpool Target Dutch Duo as Carragher Replacement - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 25, 2013 9:15 PM EST
Liverpool are considering a summer move for for Feyenoord defender Stefan de Vrij, according to the Daily Mail. The Merseyside club are looking for a replacement for club veteran, Jamie Carragher, who will retire from football at the end of the season.
The Dutch international was personally scouted by Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers earlier this week. The ex-Swansea City boss took advantage of a break in the Reds' schedule to fly to Rotterdam to see the defender in action, in Feyenoord's 2-1 win over PSV Eindhoven.
Meanwhile, Liverpool expect competition in the race to sign the 21-year-old. The Mirror believes Merseyside rivals Everton and north London Champions League hopefuls Tottenham are interested. All three have also reportedly declared an interest in De Vrij's team mate, Bruno Martins Indi. The Mirror believes the two combined will cost potential suitors £25m. De Vrij has 18 months left on his present contract and has stalled talks with the Eredivisie club over an extension.
De Vrij and Indi both are expected to have a bright future and have established themselves in Louis Van Gaal's plans for the Dutch senior team, replacing Johnny Heitinga and their club team mate, Joris Mathijsen.
"I want to see what is happening now. I will focus on playing for the club and for Holland, but I won't sit down with the club now about a new contract," the youngster said.
Rodgers is aware of the importance of securing at least one new centre-back. He has also been linked with Ashley Williams, from former club Swansea City.
Kelly Not Worried about Competition
Reds' defender Martin Kelly has dismissed concerns over the amount of competition for places at Anfield. The 22-year-old has been injured since September and although he remains unavailable for first team action, the Liverpool academy graduate is confident he can regain his place in the side.
"It's always good at any club to have competition for places. Whether you are looking to take someone's place, or you are looking behind at someone who is pushing for yours, it's always a great thing to have. It helps you progress as a player. At Liverpool, the competition is at its highest because it is a top club. But I can learn from everyone in the team, not just the defenders," Kelly explained.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Minnesota Timberwolves 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Wiggins-Rubio Era In Minneapolis Begins
- Dallas Mavericks 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Nowitzki, Ellis Has New Shooting Partner In Parsons
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored