UK Service Sector Activity Unexpectedly Slumps - CBI
By Shane Croucher | February 25, 2013 7:41 PM EST
Service sector activity slumped below expectations in the three months to February, according to an industry survey, a fresh concern for Chancellor George Osborne over the brittle UK economy.
The Confederation of British Industry (CBI), Britain's biggest business lobbyist, found in its latest quarterly service sector survey that the business and professional firms fell well short of volumes growth expectations, suffering their biggest fall in profitability since November 2011.
Consumer service businesses, such as in the travel and leisure industries, also saw an unexpected sharp decline in activity.
Despite the weakness, optimism remains for the coming three months with anticipations of increasing sales, profits and employment levels anticipated as the UK narrowly avoids a triple-dip recession.
"Economic conditions remain fragile in the service sector," said Anna Leach, CBI's head of economic analysis.
Between January 25 and February 16 the CBI surveyed 147 firms in the powerhouse service sector, which accounts for around three quarters of the UK economy.
Flat growth among service sector businesses weighed heavily on GDP in the final quarter of 2012, as the economy contracted by -0.3 percent.
There were fears over the prospect of an unprecedented triple-dip recession, but mostly improving data in the first quarter of 2013 suggests a third slump with be narrowly avoided.
Fresh concerns over the state of the UK economy have been raised by the loss of the country's AAA credit rating, which was downgraded a notch by Moody's amid a bloating debt pile, missed forecasts, and a continued flatness in output.
However, many in the markets had expected a downgrade for some time and will be largely unconcerned by the rating cut.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- China Crackdown Against Christianity: Removes Church Cross, Cites Building Code Violation
- Australia’s Richest People Under 30 in 2014
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date