UK Service Sector Activity Unexpectedly Slumps - CBI
By Shane Croucher | February 25, 2013 7:41 PM EST
Service sector activity slumped below expectations in the three months to February, according to an industry survey, a fresh concern for Chancellor George Osborne over the brittle UK economy.
The Confederation of British Industry (CBI), Britain's biggest business lobbyist, found in its latest quarterly service sector survey that the business and professional firms fell well short of volumes growth expectations, suffering their biggest fall in profitability since November 2011.
Consumer service businesses, such as in the travel and leisure industries, also saw an unexpected sharp decline in activity.
Despite the weakness, optimism remains for the coming three months with anticipations of increasing sales, profits and employment levels anticipated as the UK narrowly avoids a triple-dip recession.
"Economic conditions remain fragile in the service sector," said Anna Leach, CBI's head of economic analysis.
Between January 25 and February 16 the CBI surveyed 147 firms in the powerhouse service sector, which accounts for around three quarters of the UK economy.
Flat growth among service sector businesses weighed heavily on GDP in the final quarter of 2012, as the economy contracted by -0.3 percent.
There were fears over the prospect of an unprecedented triple-dip recession, but mostly improving data in the first quarter of 2013 suggests a third slump with be narrowly avoided.
Fresh concerns over the state of the UK economy have been raised by the loss of the country's AAA credit rating, which was downgraded a notch by Moody's amid a bloating debt pile, missed forecasts, and a continued flatness in output.
However, many in the markets had expected a downgrade for some time and will be largely unconcerned by the rating cut.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- West Africa Ebola Epidemic To Last 12-18 Months More
- BC Teachers’ Strike Reaches Tentative Deal With Government, Date of Class Resumptions Still Not Sure
- Security for Pope Francis' Albania Trip At Status Quo, Won’t Be Reinforced Despite ISIS Threat – Vatican
- Ebola Update: Death Toll Reaches 2,461; US$1B Is Needed To Fight It, Says UN
- Air France Pilots’ Strike: Only 40% of Scheduled Wednesday Flights Will Operate
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- HTC Desire 820 (Octa-Core) vs. Sony Xperia Z3 Compact – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown