UK Service Sector Activity Unexpectedly Slumps - CBI
By Shane Croucher | February 25, 2013 7:41 PM EST
Service sector activity slumped below expectations in the three months to February, according to an industry survey, a fresh concern for Chancellor George Osborne over the brittle UK economy.
The Confederation of British Industry (CBI), Britain's biggest business lobbyist, found in its latest quarterly service sector survey that the business and professional firms fell well short of volumes growth expectations, suffering their biggest fall in profitability since November 2011.
Consumer service businesses, such as in the travel and leisure industries, also saw an unexpected sharp decline in activity.
Despite the weakness, optimism remains for the coming three months with anticipations of increasing sales, profits and employment levels anticipated as the UK narrowly avoids a triple-dip recession.
"Economic conditions remain fragile in the service sector," said Anna Leach, CBI's head of economic analysis.
Between January 25 and February 16 the CBI surveyed 147 firms in the powerhouse service sector, which accounts for around three quarters of the UK economy.
Flat growth among service sector businesses weighed heavily on GDP in the final quarter of 2012, as the economy contracted by -0.3 percent.
There were fears over the prospect of an unprecedented triple-dip recession, but mostly improving data in the first quarter of 2013 suggests a third slump with be narrowly avoided.
Fresh concerns over the state of the UK economy have been raised by the loss of the country's AAA credit rating, which was downgraded a notch by Moody's amid a bloating debt pile, missed forecasts, and a continued flatness in output.
However, many in the markets had expected a downgrade for some time and will be largely unconcerned by the rating cut.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Russia Demands Ukraine Release Communications With Doomed Malaysia Airlines MH17, Preliminary Report On Investigations Out This Month
- Ebola Update: Liberian Forces Receive Shoot Orders Against People Trying to Cross from Sierra Leone Border
- Historic First Time: Catholic Pontiff Pope Francis Supports Military Intervention Against ISIS In Iraq
- Chinese Airlines Receives Lawsuit for Rejecting HIV-Positive Passengers
- Travel Alert: Canada Issues Warning Against Chikungunya Disease in Caribbean
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features