Pearson Shares Plummet on Outlook Warning and Restructuring Plans
By Lianna Brinded | February 25, 2013 7:28 PM EST
Pearson, owner of the Financial Times newspaper, will start a business restructuring programme costing £150m after warning investors of continual tough trading conditions and a flat outlook for 2013.
The British education and media group's shares sank by nearly 4 percent in early trading after it also revealed that 2012 full-year adjusted earnings per share fell 3 percent.
Pearson's new CEO John Fallon, who took over from long-serving Majorie Scardino in January this year, said in a statement on the group's website that the restructuring programme will deliver faster growth from 2015.
"Trading conditions are tough and structural changes mean many of our traditional publishing activities are under pressure. The restructuring of the company ... is designed to strengthen dramatically Pearson's position in digital education services and in our most important markets for the future," said Fallon in the statement.
While the restructuring programme will cost the group £150m (€172m / $227m) Pearson added that the strategy will end up recouping these costs and will generate around £100m of annual cost savings from 2014.
Although Pearson is viewed by investors as one of the most stable media groups in Britain, the group issued a rare downgrade to forecasts in January and shares took a hit, as sluggish advertising and weaker educational funding in developed markets bit into profits.
Meanwhile, the group is under close scrutiny as to whether it will sell its FT Group under the new CEO, who has few ties to the newspaper industry.
Media reports have suggested that Pearson is looking for at least £1bn for its lucrative FT Group, however Pearson has repeatedly denied it is looking for a buyer.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen