Pearson Shares Plummet on Outlook Warning and Restructuring Plans
By Lianna Brinded | February 25, 2013 7:28 PM EST
Pearson, owner of the Financial Times newspaper, will start a business restructuring programme costing £150m after warning investors of continual tough trading conditions and a flat outlook for 2013.
The British education and media group's shares sank by nearly 4 percent in early trading after it also revealed that 2012 full-year adjusted earnings per share fell 3 percent.
Pearson's new CEO John Fallon, who took over from long-serving Majorie Scardino in January this year, said in a statement on the group's website that the restructuring programme will deliver faster growth from 2015.
"Trading conditions are tough and structural changes mean many of our traditional publishing activities are under pressure. The restructuring of the company ... is designed to strengthen dramatically Pearson's position in digital education services and in our most important markets for the future," said Fallon in the statement.
While the restructuring programme will cost the group £150m (€172m / $227m) Pearson added that the strategy will end up recouping these costs and will generate around £100m of annual cost savings from 2014.
Although Pearson is viewed by investors as one of the most stable media groups in Britain, the group issued a rare downgrade to forecasts in January and shares took a hit, as sluggish advertising and weaker educational funding in developed markets bit into profits.
Meanwhile, the group is under close scrutiny as to whether it will sell its FT Group under the new CEO, who has few ties to the newspaper industry.
Media reports have suggested that Pearson is looking for at least £1bn for its lucrative FT Group, however Pearson has repeatedly denied it is looking for a buyer.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- United Airlines Flight Diverted as Passengers Fought Over Anti-Seat Reclining Device
- ISIS Posts Threats On Twitter, Works Around California Earthquake Hashtags, Pressures US To Respond To #StevensHeadinObamasHands
- Iceland Volcano: Bardarbunga Stricken by 5.7 Magnitude Earthquake But Still No Eruption, Magma Could be Going Elsewhere
- Chicago Marathon Brings Over $253 Million in Business
- New Zealand's High Growth Rate Predicted To Fall When Christchurch Rebuild Halts
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Trending: Ice Bucket Challenge Replaced By Rubble Bucket Challenge By People Of Gaza