One in Three Britons Not Saving Money for Future - Scottish Widows
By Jerin Mathew | February 25, 2013 7:15 PM EST
Rising living costs borne of Britain's prolonged economic downturn are making it impossible for a third of the population to save money for their future, according to a survey.
The latest Savings and Investment report by pension firm Scottish Widows reveals that about 15 million Britons, or about 31 percent of the adult population, are "not currently making any effort" to save for the future, and eight million citizens have no savings at all.
In 2012, the portion of the population who were not saving money totalled 32 percent.
Of the two-thirds who are managing to save some money, 32 percent had less than £1,000 ($1,514, €1,145) as savings, while a household's combined monthly mortgage and council tax bill amounts to £1,009, the survey carried out by YouGov says.
About one-quarter of the total people surveyed indicated that they had given loans averaging £15,000 to their sons and daughters for buying their first homes or joining university. This has forced many parents to either reduce their savings or stop savings altogether. Grandparents' lending to grandchildren averages £3,665, according to the report.
The wider economic climate is affecting households' ability to save. Rising living costs in the country such as food, energy bills, rents and petrol are reducing the average person's disposable income and thus shrinking the amount they can save.
Meanwhile, the interest rates on savings accounts have been coming down, discouraging money savers.
"When we are faced with immediate financial commitments, such as mortgage payments and day-to-day living expenses, then it is absolutely necessary to give these pressing needs priority," said Iain McGowan, head of savings and investments at Scottish Widows.
"However, taking a wholly short-term view of our finances will mean we are unprepared for the financial needs and challenges that lie ahead in the future."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions