HP Announces Its First Android-Based Tablet For $169
By Vijaykumar Meti | February 25, 2013 6:14 PM EST
Hewlett-Packard (HP) is back into the tablet market but this time with Google's Android operating system. On Sunday, just a night before Mobile World Congress (MWC) was to officially start in Barcelona, HP announced its first Android running tablet, the HP Slate 7.
"To address the growing interest in tablets among consumers and businesses alike, HP will offer a range of form factors and leverage an array of operating systems," said Alberto Torres, senior vice president, Mobility Global Business Unit, HP.
"Our new HP Slate7 on Android represents a compelling entry point for consumer tablets, while our ground-breaking, business-ready HP ElitePad on Windows® 8 is ideal for enterprises and governments. Both deliver the service and support people expect from HP," he added.
As the name 'HP Slate 7' indicated, it features a 7-inch screen at a resolution of 1024 X 600 pixels, powered with ARM Dual-Core Cortex A9 processor at 1.6GHz clock speed paired with 1GB of RAM and operates on Android Jelly Bean operating system.
It also includes a 3 megapixel primary camera and a VGA front facing camera for video calls and chats. It has 8GB internal storage and has a built-in microSD card slot for expanding memory. Other features include Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth and a set of stereo speakers with Beats Audio technology.
The HP Slate 7 is expected to go on sale in the United States and globally in April with a starting price of $169.
Recently the South Korean electronics giant, Samsung Electronics also introduced its new 8-inch tablet called as the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0, ahead of MWC at Barcelona. It seems Samsung is directly competing with Apple's iPad Mini which was launched last year featuring a 7.9-inch screen size.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]