Oscars 2013: Bombay Jayashri’s 'Pi's Lullaby' Loses Trophy for Best Original Song to Adele’s 'Skyfall'
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 25, 2013 5:27 PM EST
Bombay Jayashri, the sole Indian nominee at the 85th Academy Awards, lost the prestigious Oscar trophy to British Singer Adele in the category of Best Original Song.
Adele won the coveted award for her soulful rendition of James Bond theme "Skyfall" which is co-written by Paul Epworth. She also performed the song track at the Academy Awards. This is the first time a James bond theme had won an Oscar.
While accepting her award Adele said "This is amazing... thank you for believing in me," PTI reported.
Jayashri was nominated for her "Pi's Lullaby" from "Life of Pi". The song is co-written by composer Michael Danna and late sitarist Ravi Shankar's daughter Norah Jones.
Adele bagged the statuette after facing tough competition from others nominees including J. Ralph for "Before My Time" from "Chasing Ice," Walter Murphy and Seth MacFarlane for "Everybody Needs a Best Friend" from "Ted," Mychael Danna and Bombay Jayashri for the lullaby in "Life of Pi", and Claude-Michel Schonberg, Herbert Kretzmer and Alain Boublil for "Suddenly" from "Les Miserables."
In 2011, Adele underwent a major surgery for vocal cord haemorrhage. She resumed recording for "Skyfall", which proved lucky for her after it became a commercial success with worldwide sales crossing two million. The song also reached the number two spot in the UK chart and was ranked eighth in the US.
Recently, the 24-year-old British singer was honoured by 2013 Grammy Awards for Best Pop Solo Performance for the song "Set Fire to the Rain".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’: Top 5 Revelations Of Season 8
- 'NCIS' Season 12 Spoilers: Ziva David Out, Tony's New Love Could be Stephanie Jacobsen's Leia; Troian Bellisario Teases 'Reunion' Photo
- ‘Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice’ Comic-Con Teaser Trailer In Animation [Watch Video]
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 21, 2014: A Party For Hope And Wyatt Affects Liam’s Pride In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 1 Teaser Video: ‘What’s Coming Next’
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch