South Africa's PIC to back Absa-Barclays deal - report
February 25, 2013 5:21 PM EST
South Africa's government pension fund will vote in favour of Absa Group's plan to buy the African operations of its British parent Barclays
Absa's minority shareholders, including the Public Investment Corporation (PIC) pension fund, are due to vote Monday on the bank's plan to issue $2 billion in stock to Barclays, in exchange for the British lender's African businesses.
While the deal is dilutive, it also offers Absa exposure, the PIC told Business Day.
"We will support the deal primarily because this provides Absa with an immediate exposure to a higher growth trajectory market," the paper quoted an official for the pension fund as saying.
It did not give the name or title of the official.
The PIC is Absa's largest shareholder after Barclays, holding a little over 9 percent of the South African bank, according to Thomson Reuters data.
(Reporting by David Dolan; Editing by Vicki Allen)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install
- Update Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini with Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- LG G3 To Debut Moon Violet and Burgundy Red Shades in August; Upcoming LG Devices Roundup