South Africa's PIC to back Absa-Barclays deal - report
February 25, 2013 5:21 PM EST
South Africa's government pension fund will vote in favour of Absa Group's plan to buy the African operations of its British parent Barclays
Absa's minority shareholders, including the Public Investment Corporation (PIC) pension fund, are due to vote Monday on the bank's plan to issue $2 billion in stock to Barclays, in exchange for the British lender's African businesses.
While the deal is dilutive, it also offers Absa exposure, the PIC told Business Day.
"We will support the deal primarily because this provides Absa with an immediate exposure to a higher growth trajectory market," the paper quoted an official for the pension fund as saying.
It did not give the name or title of the official.
The PIC is Absa's largest shareholder after Barclays, holding a little over 9 percent of the South African bank, according to Thomson Reuters data.
(Reporting by David Dolan; Editing by Vicki Allen)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase