Danica Patrick Out! Sprint Cup Winner Loses at Daytona 500
By Czarina Malleta | February 25, 2013 12:56 PM EST
It would be a massive pressure for a woman to compete at the Daytona 500. But Danica Patrick took a risk and competed against 42 other equally deserving and good drivers.
Danica Patrick made history when she won a Sprint Cup pole and be able to lead a lap in the Daytona 500. But unfortunately for Danica, she only managed to snag the eighth place at the Daytona 500 earlier on Sunday.
Danica Patrick lost to Jimmie Johnson. And for the third time in four years, he edged out Dale Earnhardt Jr. who finished with a close second. Johnson who is a second time winner led 17 laps on the track. With perhaps a little bit of luck, he won first place in NASCAR's season opening, which is also considered the most prestigious race of the season.
Although Danica only won the eighth spot on Sunday, she did run in the top 10 for most of the day. She was also running a close third towards the end of the race but encountered some problems and failed in her attempt to pass on Johnson.
Drawing crowds and cheers before she gets into her car and before the race starts, Danica is definitely considered a crowd favorite. Even young daughters of veteran drivers Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson and Carl Edwards all wanted to meet Patrick.
"Carl was saying that it's good that she sees me in real life and in person because he's like, 'Because to her, you are like some mythical creature that doesn't exist,'" Patrick said. "After qualifying, Jimmie Johnson brought his little girl over because she wanted to meet me."
"I mean, that's is three pretty big drivers that have little girls that wanted to meet me. That is very flattering," Danica added.
Before the race on Sunday, Danica admits that she is still a "rookie" if you compare her to other drivers competing. But her team is determined to bring her to victory and eventually make her to be the first woman to lead lap in the Daytona 500.
"I know I'm inexperienced. I know that I'm a rookie out there. I will do the best job I can. I believe I do have a chance to win. I do believe experience would help, but it doesn't mean that I don't have a chance to win," Patrick said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- Dallas Mavericks Owner Mark Cuban Wants The Los Angeles Lakers To ‘Suck Forever’
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Exit For Messi Is Possible - Tata Martino
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports