MC Hammer Claims Arrest In Northern California Was Caused By Racial Profiling
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 25, 2013 10:57 AM EST
Rapper MC Hammer was arrested in Northern California on Thursday for allegedly obstructing an officer. Two days later, Hammer launched into a lengthy rant on Twitter charging that the arrest was the result of racial profiling.
Hammer, born Stanley Kirk Burrell in Oakland, was pulled over east of that city in Dublin. He claimed that police immediately began questioning whether he was on parole when he was stopped. In Hammer’s eyes, he was racially profiled based on the assumption that he must have been a criminal because of his race.
"Chubby elvis looking dude was tapping on my car window, I rolled down the window and he said 'Are you on parole or probation?'" Hammer tweeted.
"While I was handing him my ID he reached in my car and tried to pull me out the car but forgot he was on a steady donut diet," Hammer continued. "It was comical to me until he pulled out his guns, blew his whistle and yelled for help (MallCop)! But make no mistake he's dangerous."
Hammer then noted that he believed his arrest was racially motivated, tweeting, "I will now answer his question, contrary to his personal beliefs, all people of color are not on parole or probation fat boy!"
While Hammer sees the incident as the result of racial profiling, police attribute the arrest to the rapper’s combative attitude after being pulled over. Dublin police also pointed out that Hammer was not the registered owner of the vehicle he was driving and that the registration had expired.
"After asking Hammer who the registered owner was, he became very argumentative and refused to answer the officer's questions," police representative Herb Walters told CNN via email.
Police found no alcohol or drugs in the vehicle, but, due to the lack of registration and Hammer's purportedly combative attitude, he was taken to the Santa Rita Jail. Hammer was soon released on bail and currently has a court date in March. No charges have been filed yet.
Hammer is best known for his 1990 hit single "U Can't Touch This."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Update: 4 Feature Upgrades That Really Matter