MC Hammer Claims Arrest In Northern California Was Caused By Racial Profiling
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 25, 2013 10:57 AM EST
Rapper MC Hammer was arrested in Northern California on Thursday for allegedly obstructing an officer. Two days later, Hammer launched into a lengthy rant on Twitter charging that the arrest was the result of racial profiling.
Hammer, born Stanley Kirk Burrell in Oakland, was pulled over east of that city in Dublin. He claimed that police immediately began questioning whether he was on parole when he was stopped. In Hammer’s eyes, he was racially profiled based on the assumption that he must have been a criminal because of his race.
"Chubby elvis looking dude was tapping on my car window, I rolled down the window and he said 'Are you on parole or probation?'" Hammer tweeted.
"While I was handing him my ID he reached in my car and tried to pull me out the car but forgot he was on a steady donut diet," Hammer continued. "It was comical to me until he pulled out his guns, blew his whistle and yelled for help (MallCop)! But make no mistake he's dangerous."
Hammer then noted that he believed his arrest was racially motivated, tweeting, "I will now answer his question, contrary to his personal beliefs, all people of color are not on parole or probation fat boy!"
While Hammer sees the incident as the result of racial profiling, police attribute the arrest to the rapper’s combative attitude after being pulled over. Dublin police also pointed out that Hammer was not the registered owner of the vehicle he was driving and that the registration had expired.
"After asking Hammer who the registered owner was, he became very argumentative and refused to answer the officer's questions," police representative Herb Walters told CNN via email.
Police found no alcohol or drugs in the vehicle, but, due to the lack of registration and Hammer's purportedly combative attitude, he was taken to the Santa Rita Jail. Hammer was soon released on bail and currently has a court date in March. No charges have been filed yet.
Hammer is best known for his 1990 hit single "U Can't Touch This."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More