Iran Unveils Discovery of Raw Uranium Source to Fuel Nuclear Programme
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 25, 2013 10:34 AM EST
Iran announced over the weekend the discovery of new deposits of raw uranium sufficient to provide the requirements of the Middle Eastern country's nuclear programme. The Iran Atomic Energy Organisation said it has identified 16 more sites for nuclear power stations.
Iran made the announcement just days before Western powers are discussing Iran's atomic programme.
The uranium fields are said to be located in southern coastal area estimated at 33,000 tonnes of high-grade uranium, which tripled the amount of Iran's previous estimates. The plants would be located in coastal areas of the Caspian Sea, the Persian Gulf, the Sea of Oman, the southwestern province of Khuzestan and the northwestern part of Iran.
The agency said the projects are part of Iran's long-term plans to develop electricity generation using nuclear power facilities that would follow international benchmarks and regulations.
AUIU head Fereidoon Abbasi Davani said a few weeks ago that Iran will construct a second nuclear power plant between March 2013 and March 2014.
Iran has been converting part of its 20 per cent enriched uranium hexafluoride gaseous stockpile into metallic for use by the Tehran Research Reactor as fuel. The conversion involves freezing the enrichment level and subtracting from the enrichable gaseous stockpile used in centrifuges.
The race for more power generated through nuclear facilities aims to provide the estimated 20,000 megawatts electricity requirement of Iran by 2020.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- MH17: Separatist Soldier Holds Aussie Reporter at Gun Point
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- UK Asks NATO to Stand Up to Russia
- U.S. ‘Defends’ Israel for ‘Disgraceful’ Attack on UN School in Gaza that Killed 15
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff