Australian Billionaire to Rebuild the Titanic for 2016 Maiden Voyage
By Timur Moon | February 25, 2013 5:13 AM EST
A life-size replica of the doomed 20th-century ocean liner Titanic will sail from Southampton to New York following the course steered by the original ship in 1912 before it struck an iceberg, with the loss of 1,500 lives.
Would-be passengers are offering up to $1 million (£655,000) for a cabin aboard the vessel, which will set sail in 2016.
The £330m Titanic II has been commissioned by Australian mining billionaire Clive Palmer, and will be built to specification by a Chinese shipyard.
The nine-storey liner will carry 2,400 passengers and 900 crew, and will be 885ft long and 187ft high. It will be fitted with 840 cabins.
The vessel will be upholstered in the mahogany veneers of the Orient Express, according to sources, and fitted with Turkish baths, swimming pools and gymnasiums in the style of the original ship.
Engineers at the CSC Jinling Shipyard Company in Nanjing stress the ship's watertight safety. While its exterior will replicate the Belfast-built original, its "improved hull" will incorporate engines using the latest technology, according to the company brochure.
"The liner will be equipped with advanced technologies, including the latest life-saving and communications systems, to meet the requirements of modern navigation," Jinling spokesman Li Wenbao told the China Daily state newspaper.
The popularity of the 1997 film starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet means the story of the ill-starred liner is well-known in China, ensuring widespread publicity for the project. To this day, Celine Dion's theme song is still widely sung in the nation's karaoke bars.
Palmer, whose business empire includes nickel mines, golf courses and resorts in the South Pacific, is known for his love of the high life. He keeps five corporate jets and a stable of 150 racehorses.
With four bulk carriers on order from the Jinling company, Palmer opted to "throw in the Titanic as a bonus", saying it would become a maritime symbol of China's economic achievement.
"It's difficult to replicate a luxury liner but Jinling Shipyard has a history of 60 years of building various kinds of high-quality vessels," said Jinling company director Ge Biao.
At a press conference last week to announce the project, which has been commissioned by Blue Star Line, a subsidiary of his mining company, Palmer appeared via video link to declare enigmatically: "Why build the Titanic? Why go to the moon?"
The original Titanic was operated by the White Star Line, which merged with rival Cunard in 1934.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- ISIS War to Last For 4 Years; US Military Shows Videos of Airstrikes Hitting Militant Base [VIDEO]
- Australia's Chance Of El Niño Rises To 70%; Heatwaves And Drought To Persist
- Australia Joins Global Effort to Stop Russian Website From Illegally Streaming Web Cam Feeds
- Woman Gets Killed After Falling Off Cliff During Expedition Near Mermaid Pool
- ‘Drunk Girl in Public' Actress Apologises; Actor Tells Dr. Drew He Thought It Was Comedy Skit
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports