L.A. Lakers Vs. Dallas Mavericks: Where To Watch Live, Preview, Betting Odds, Prediction
February 25, 2013 2:08 AM EST
Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban has the chance to discuss his views on the Los Angeles Lakers' salary cap with Kobe Bryant face-to-face Sunday afternoon.
The Mavericks will host L.A. at American Airlines Arena separated by a game and a half as both teams scramble to make the playoffs in the season’s second half.
The often controversial Cuban suggested in a radio interview the Lakers may have to use the amnesty clause on the $30 million owed to Bryant in the final year of his contract. L.A. brass responded and said Cuban’s comments were uncalled for.
Unfortunately that news has overshadowed the Lakers blazing start out of the All-Star break, with two convincing wins over Boston and Portland since the death of long-time team owner Jerry Buss.
Bryant scorched the Blazers Friday night for 40 points, and center Dwight Howard scored 19 points and snagged 16 rebounds in a 111-107 victory.
Whatever reported animosity between Bryant and Howard may have dissipated after Buss’s death. Bryant practically guaranteed the 27-29 Lakers will make the playoffs, with Howard and veteran point guard Steve Nash reaffirming that bold statement.
L.A. is currently 3.5 games away from the Houston Rockets for the No. 8 seed, with Dallas right on their heels.
The Mavericks appeared to have regained their footing since Dirk Nowitzki’s return from knee surgery, and held on for a 104-100 win over the scrappy New Orleans Hornets Friday.
Nowitzki led all scorers with 25 points, and Vince Carter came off the bench to net 22 points. Dallas had trouble against Hornets guard Eric Gordon and his 23 points, and the combined 44 points off the bench from forwards Jason Smith and Ryan Anderson.
Like the Lakers, much of Dallas’ troubles could be traced to an inconsistent defense. The Mavericks are currently ranked 27th in the league, and L.A. is 23rd.
The game tips-off at 1 p.m. Eastern and will be broadcast by ABC.
Betting Odds: Dallas is favored by 2 points
Over/Under: 208 points
Prediction: This game should be an entertaining shootout. Nowitzki and Bryant will duel it out for top scoring honors, but Howard and Nash will be the difference in a close L.A. win.
Predicted Score: Los Angeles 104, Dallas 99
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Serena Williams and Rumoured Boyfriend Patrick Mouratoglou Spotted on a Date in NYC
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015