Designer of Dr Who's Daleks Dies
By Tom Porter | February 25, 2013 1:17 AM EST
The designer of the death-dealing Daleks that have terrified generations of Dr Who fans has died, aged 84.
Ray Cusick, who was production designer on the cult series from 1963 to 1966, died in his sleep after a short illness at his home in Sussex, his family said in a statement.
After starting work on the first series of Dr Who, he was asked by series writer Terry Nation to give shape to the Daleks, a legion of mechanical beings that had turned on their scientist creator and killed him.
In an interview with the BBC in 2008, he discussed the story that he had conceived the look of the Daleks by moving a pepper pot around a table.
"Ever since then people say I was inspired by a pepper pot - but it could have been the salt pot I picked up," he said.
"When I'm asked what I was inspired by I suppose it was really a system of logic because I realised that you've got to have an operator to operate them. If you had anything mechanical, 10 to one on the take it would go wrong, so you've got a human being in there who would be absolutely totally reliable."
He went on to give them their bobble-like sensors, eye-stalk, sucker, and exterminator weapons.
The official Doctor Who Magazine tweeted: "It's with great sadness that we report the death of Ray Cusick - the designer of the Daleks. Half a century on, his iconic design lives on."
Doctor Who actor and writer Mark Gatiss tweeted: "Farewell to the great Ray Cusick. His passing is especially sad in this anniversary year but his creation remains immortal. Daleks forever!"
The creations went on to become instantly recognisable pop-cultural icons, with their robotic "exterminate" death call imitated by generations.
They remain one of the Doctor's most formidable adversaries, with their design remaining largely unchanged for the sci-fi show's revival in 2005.
After Dr Who, Cusick worked on shows ranging from Z Cars, Dr Finlay's Casebook and The Forsyte Saga to The Duchess of Duke Street, When the Boat Comes In and Rentaghost. He retired in 1987.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Update: Louise And Blake To Make Their First Appearance As A Couple In Australia
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery