GSM Subscriber Base Grows Marginally in January 2013: COAI
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 25, 2013 12:11 AM EST
GSM operators in the country have witnessed a marginal growth in subscriber base in January, according to new data released by Cellular Operators Association of India (COAI).
The subscriber base for GSM mobile users in India has gone up to 65.75 crore in January from 65.71 crore in December, adding four lakh new customers to it. In November and December last year, the subscriber base had gone down by 90 lakh and 66 lakh, respectively.
The COAI said that Idea Cellular witnessed maximum growth, adding 24.5 lakh new customers during January. Idea Cellular was followed by Bharti Airtel and Vodafone, adding 22.86 lakh and two lakh new subscribers, respectively.
Telecom operators like Aircel, Uninor and Videocon have seen a decline in subscriber base growth. Videocon has recorded a dip of 38 per cent, taking its figures to 2.57 lakh in January from 36.4 lakh in December. Aircel's and Uninor's customer base has gone down by 17.75 lakh and 14 lakh customers, respectively.
Meanwhile, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) on Saturday asked Uninor to pay back the balance amount to its subscribers in Mumbai and Kolkata. According to the new directions given by the telecom regulator, Uninor has to refund money to its users in these cities where the company has shut down its operations within fifteen days of time.
The TRAI has also asked Uninor to make arrangement for shifting their numbers to other telecom companies' network and publicize details of number porting and refunding of money on its websites and newspapers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Masayoshi Son Is Japan’s Richest Man As Softbank Shares Surge Ahead Of Alibaba IPO; More Millionaires Among Alibaba Employees On The Way
- Pizza Hut Australia Sorry for Victoria Branch’s ‘Free Small Animal’ Campaign
- iPhone 6 Release Down Under – Meet The First People To Have The Newest iPhones
- Ex-Male Strippers For Rent At $125/Hour To Act As ManServants
- Alibaba Hikes IPO Price Range To $66-$68 From $60-$66
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet