GSM Subscriber Base Grows Marginally in January 2013: COAI
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 25, 2013 12:11 AM EST
GSM operators in the country have witnessed a marginal growth in subscriber base in January, according to new data released by Cellular Operators Association of India (COAI).
The subscriber base for GSM mobile users in India has gone up to 65.75 crore in January from 65.71 crore in December, adding four lakh new customers to it. In November and December last year, the subscriber base had gone down by 90 lakh and 66 lakh, respectively.
The COAI said that Idea Cellular witnessed maximum growth, adding 24.5 lakh new customers during January. Idea Cellular was followed by Bharti Airtel and Vodafone, adding 22.86 lakh and two lakh new subscribers, respectively.
Telecom operators like Aircel, Uninor and Videocon have seen a decline in subscriber base growth. Videocon has recorded a dip of 38 per cent, taking its figures to 2.57 lakh in January from 36.4 lakh in December. Aircel's and Uninor's customer base has gone down by 17.75 lakh and 14 lakh customers, respectively.
Meanwhile, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) on Saturday asked Uninor to pay back the balance amount to its subscribers in Mumbai and Kolkata. According to the new directions given by the telecom regulator, Uninor has to refund money to its users in these cities where the company has shut down its operations within fifteen days of time.
The TRAI has also asked Uninor to make arrangement for shifting their numbers to other telecom companies' network and publicize details of number porting and refunding of money on its websites and newspapers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Vodafone Buys Ericsson Equipment to Replace 5-Year-Old Network Technologies
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Shares Reach $100 Mark Since Stock Split; First Flagship Store in Middle East May Open Soon
- Small Businesses Claim Positive Financial Situation but Negative on Outlook
- Anti-Virus Company Symantec to Switch to Subscription Service, Consolidates Norton Products
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members