GSM Subscriber Base Grows Marginally in January 2013: COAI
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 25, 2013 12:11 AM EST
GSM operators in the country have witnessed a marginal growth in subscriber base in January, according to new data released by Cellular Operators Association of India (COAI).
The subscriber base for GSM mobile users in India has gone up to 65.75 crore in January from 65.71 crore in December, adding four lakh new customers to it. In November and December last year, the subscriber base had gone down by 90 lakh and 66 lakh, respectively.
The COAI said that Idea Cellular witnessed maximum growth, adding 24.5 lakh new customers during January. Idea Cellular was followed by Bharti Airtel and Vodafone, adding 22.86 lakh and two lakh new subscribers, respectively.
Telecom operators like Aircel, Uninor and Videocon have seen a decline in subscriber base growth. Videocon has recorded a dip of 38 per cent, taking its figures to 2.57 lakh in January from 36.4 lakh in December. Aircel's and Uninor's customer base has gone down by 17.75 lakh and 14 lakh customers, respectively.
Meanwhile, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) on Saturday asked Uninor to pay back the balance amount to its subscribers in Mumbai and Kolkata. According to the new directions given by the telecom regulator, Uninor has to refund money to its users in these cities where the company has shut down its operations within fifteen days of time.
The TRAI has also asked Uninor to make arrangement for shifting their numbers to other telecom companies' network and publicize details of number porting and refunding of money on its websites and newspapers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Texas Man Selling Condo With ‘Funniest and Most Revealing Ad’
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Tweens Fool Their Parents Online, McAfee Reports
- These 2 Questions Reveal if You Unwittingly Abuse Alcohol
- Jennifer Lopez and Her Wild 45th Birthday Party: How JLo’s Life-Size Birthday Cake from SamiCakes Boutique Was Made
- Blake Griffin’s Back Injury Is the Reason for His Withdrawal from Team U.S.A.
- Supernatural Season 10 Spoilers: Metatron Capable of Saving Castiel's Fading Grace
- Anderson Silva To Test the Octagon Anew After Freak Leg Injury, To Fight Nick Diaz in 2015