Mass Effect 3 Citadel DLC: Bioware Retires Commander Shepard, Announces DLC Release Date [VIDEO]
By IB Times Staff Reporter | February 24, 2013 10:52 PM EST
Developers Bioware have announced the final Downloadable Content (DLC) for Mass Effect 3 (ME3), bringing an end to the adventures of popular protagonist Commander Shepard and his allies. EA and Bioware announced the new DLC, called Citadel, will launch on 5 March. Unfortunately, European users will have to wait an extra 24 hours; the release there is scheduled for 6 March.
In what is likely to be a "bittersweet send-off" to its characters, Bioware's DLC screenshots hint at the return of Liara, James and Kaidan.
Meanwhile, Citadel will also have additional content allowing users to explore new hubs and a different mini-story added to give a perfect swansong to the hugely popular game. Citadel will send Commander Shepard on one "final sentimental journey".
The DLC is a large file; Xbox 360 users will need to download the content in two chunks (cost 1,200 MSP in total). Citadel will not function without the first pack.
There is no such concern for PC and PS3 users; for them, the final episode of the Mass Effect 3 story is a one-file download costing $14.99 (approximately £10).
Explaining the plot of the new DLC, Bioware community manager Chris Priestly wrote on the developers' official forum: "When a sinister conspiracy targets Commander Shepard, you and your team must uncover the truth, through battles and intrigue that range from the glamour of the Citadel's Wards to the top secret Council Archives. Uncover the truth and fight alongside your squad - as well as the original cast from the original Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2. Mass Effect 3: Citadel offers one final chance to see the characters you have known for years and rekindle romances."
Executive producer Casey Hudson also gave one last hurrah to Mass Effect 3's characters: "The team has poured heart and soul into Mass Effect 3: Citadel. As the launch of these chapters near, the feeling around the studio is bittersweet."
Check out a trailer for the preceding DLC, Omega, released in November:
Earlier this month, Bioware announced that the next game in the Mass Effect series would not feature Commander Shepard and also warned users that speculation suggesting the game would be called Mass Effect 4 was wrong. They insisted the new game would have an entirely new cast and plot. Bioware announced the next Mass Effect game in November last year. The game will use the new Frostbite 2 engine from Dragon Age III: Inquisition.
In their fourth quarter results in 2012, EA (Electronic Arts) announced that Mass Effect 3 grossed over $200 million (£132 million).
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- UEFA Champions League Draw Result and Replay: Arsenal Joins Toughest Group, Cristiano Ronaldo Named Best Player In Europe [PHOTOS and VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xbox’s September Games with Gold Features Halo Reach As Halo 5: Guardians And Master Chief Collection Get Details
- ‘Minecraft Xbox One Edition’ Updates From Devs Plus More On Minecraft On The Xbox Platform
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ Delayed To November As ‘Rogue’ Gets More Story Details
- ‘Destiny’ Updates: Devs Talk About Raids and ‘Destiny’ Preorder And Preloading
- ‘GTA 5’ Online Updates Radio For PS4, Xbox One As Rockstar Brings Allies For New Sale
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans