Mass Effect 3 Citadel DLC: Bioware Retires Commander Shepard, Announces DLC Release Date [VIDEO]
By IB Times Staff Reporter | February 24, 2013 10:52 PM EST
Developers Bioware have announced the final Downloadable Content (DLC) for Mass Effect 3 (ME3), bringing an end to the adventures of popular protagonist Commander Shepard and his allies. EA and Bioware announced the new DLC, called Citadel, will launch on 5 March. Unfortunately, European users will have to wait an extra 24 hours; the release there is scheduled for 6 March.
In what is likely to be a "bittersweet send-off" to its characters, Bioware's DLC screenshots hint at the return of Liara, James and Kaidan.
Meanwhile, Citadel will also have additional content allowing users to explore new hubs and a different mini-story added to give a perfect swansong to the hugely popular game. Citadel will send Commander Shepard on one "final sentimental journey".
The DLC is a large file; Xbox 360 users will need to download the content in two chunks (cost 1,200 MSP in total). Citadel will not function without the first pack.
There is no such concern for PC and PS3 users; for them, the final episode of the Mass Effect 3 story is a one-file download costing $14.99 (approximately £10).
Explaining the plot of the new DLC, Bioware community manager Chris Priestly wrote on the developers' official forum: "When a sinister conspiracy targets Commander Shepard, you and your team must uncover the truth, through battles and intrigue that range from the glamour of the Citadel's Wards to the top secret Council Archives. Uncover the truth and fight alongside your squad - as well as the original cast from the original Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2. Mass Effect 3: Citadel offers one final chance to see the characters you have known for years and rekindle romances."
Executive producer Casey Hudson also gave one last hurrah to Mass Effect 3's characters: "The team has poured heart and soul into Mass Effect 3: Citadel. As the launch of these chapters near, the feeling around the studio is bittersweet."
Check out a trailer for the preceding DLC, Omega, released in November:
Earlier this month, Bioware announced that the next game in the Mass Effect series would not feature Commander Shepard and also warned users that speculation suggesting the game would be called Mass Effect 4 was wrong. They insisted the new game would have an entirely new cast and plot. Bioware announced the next Mass Effect game in November last year. The game will use the new Frostbite 2 engine from Dragon Age III: Inquisition.
In their fourth quarter results in 2012, EA (Electronic Arts) announced that Mass Effect 3 grossed over $200 million (£132 million).
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- 'The Sims 4' Mac Version: Bugs, Missing Elements Players Must Be Prepared Of
- 'Destiny' vs. 'Titanfall': New Legendary Gears Spotted And Update 8 Features Detailed
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28