Mass Effect 3 Citadel DLC: Bioware Retires Commander Shepard, Announces DLC Release Date [VIDEO]
By IB Times Staff Reporter | February 24, 2013 10:52 PM EST
Developers Bioware have announced the final Downloadable Content (DLC) for Mass Effect 3 (ME3), bringing an end to the adventures of popular protagonist Commander Shepard and his allies. EA and Bioware announced the new DLC, called Citadel, will launch on 5 March. Unfortunately, European users will have to wait an extra 24 hours; the release there is scheduled for 6 March.
In what is likely to be a "bittersweet send-off" to its characters, Bioware's DLC screenshots hint at the return of Liara, James and Kaidan.
Meanwhile, Citadel will also have additional content allowing users to explore new hubs and a different mini-story added to give a perfect swansong to the hugely popular game. Citadel will send Commander Shepard on one "final sentimental journey".
The DLC is a large file; Xbox 360 users will need to download the content in two chunks (cost 1,200 MSP in total). Citadel will not function without the first pack.
There is no such concern for PC and PS3 users; for them, the final episode of the Mass Effect 3 story is a one-file download costing $14.99 (approximately £10).
Explaining the plot of the new DLC, Bioware community manager Chris Priestly wrote on the developers' official forum: "When a sinister conspiracy targets Commander Shepard, you and your team must uncover the truth, through battles and intrigue that range from the glamour of the Citadel's Wards to the top secret Council Archives. Uncover the truth and fight alongside your squad - as well as the original cast from the original Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2. Mass Effect 3: Citadel offers one final chance to see the characters you have known for years and rekindle romances."
Executive producer Casey Hudson also gave one last hurrah to Mass Effect 3's characters: "The team has poured heart and soul into Mass Effect 3: Citadel. As the launch of these chapters near, the feeling around the studio is bittersweet."
Check out a trailer for the preceding DLC, Omega, released in November:
Earlier this month, Bioware announced that the next game in the Mass Effect series would not feature Commander Shepard and also warned users that speculation suggesting the game would be called Mass Effect 4 was wrong. They insisted the new game would have an entirely new cast and plot. Bioware announced the next Mass Effect game in November last year. The game will use the new Frostbite 2 engine from Dragon Age III: Inquisition.
In their fourth quarter results in 2012, EA (Electronic Arts) announced that Mass Effect 3 grossed over $200 million (£132 million).
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Android L Rollout Prediction: Nexus 4, Moto X, HTC One, Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S4, LG G2
- ‘World Of Warcraft Warlords Of Draenor' Patch 6.0.1 Beta Notes Update For The Classes Including Druid, Rogue And Priest [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘GTA 5 Online’ Weekend Event For San Andreas Flight School Update And A Deals With Gold Offer
- Samsung Galaxy S4 vs. HTC One M8 Specs And Price Comparison In Australia
- 'Assassin's Creed' Update: 'Unity' And 'Rogue' Not A Multiplayer Player Game, Ubisoft Confirms
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch