Bangladesh All-Rounder Shakib Set to Miss Sri Lanka Tour
February 24, 2013 9:49 PM EST
Bangladesh all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan is unlikely to tour Sri Lanka next month after he was advised to undergo surgery on his shin, the Bangladesh Cricket Board's chief medical officer said on Saturday.
"The BCB has granted him permission to undergo surgery as per the advice of a specialist in Australia," Debashish Chowdhury told reporters.
"Shakib will be out of action for at least six weeks after the operation."
Shakib is visiting Australia to get an expert opinion on the injures that have been troubling him since Bangladesh's home series against West Indies in November last year.
He missed the five-match one-day international series against West Indies because of a stress reaction on his shinbone but made a comeback in the recently held domestic Bangladesh Premier League Twenty20 tournament.
During the BPL, in which he was named player of the tournament, Shakib was diagnosed with exertional compartment syndrome, an exercise-induced problem that causes pain over the front of the shinbone.
"Normally surgery is not always very necessary to recover from this type of injury. But the BCB does not want to risk him aggravating it further as he has some other injuries," said Chowdhury.
"A final decision on when or where the surgery will be conducted will be taken on Monday."
Bangladesh will play two tests, three ODIs and a Twenty20 International in Sri Lanka from March 8-31.
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS