Bangladesh All-Rounder Shakib Set to Miss Sri Lanka Tour
February 24, 2013 9:49 PM EST
Bangladesh all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan is unlikely to tour Sri Lanka next month after he was advised to undergo surgery on his shin, the Bangladesh Cricket Board's chief medical officer said on Saturday.
"The BCB has granted him permission to undergo surgery as per the advice of a specialist in Australia," Debashish Chowdhury told reporters.
"Shakib will be out of action for at least six weeks after the operation."
Shakib is visiting Australia to get an expert opinion on the injures that have been troubling him since Bangladesh's home series against West Indies in November last year.
He missed the five-match one-day international series against West Indies because of a stress reaction on his shinbone but made a comeback in the recently held domestic Bangladesh Premier League Twenty20 tournament.
During the BPL, in which he was named player of the tournament, Shakib was diagnosed with exertional compartment syndrome, an exercise-induced problem that causes pain over the front of the shinbone.
"Normally surgery is not always very necessary to recover from this type of injury. But the BCB does not want to risk him aggravating it further as he has some other injuries," said Chowdhury.
"A final decision on when or where the surgery will be conducted will be taken on Monday."
Bangladesh will play two tests, three ODIs and a Twenty20 International in Sri Lanka from March 8-31.
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Liverpool FC: Brendan Rodgers Accedes That His Days As Reds Boss Could Be Numbered
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James