Oscar Pistorius's Brother Faces Homicide Charges [VIDEO]
By Tom Porter | February 24, 2013 9:20 PM EST
The brother of murder suspect and Paralympic athlete Oscar Pistorius is also facing charges over the death of a woman, it has emerged.
Carl Pistorius is to face a court over charges of culpable homicide after he was involved in a road accident in 2010 in which a female motorcyclist was killed while he was driving a car.
The British equivalent of culpable homicide is manslaughter.
He has been a constant presence at the court appearances of his brother, Oscar, who was granted bail this week and denies murdering his girlfriend, model Reeva Steenkamp.
The charges against Carl Pistorius emerged in the local South African media yesterday, and were confirmed by the Pistorius family lawyer Kenneth Oldwage to the BBC.
The accident took place in Vanderbijlpark, about one hour's drive south of Johannesburg.
Police found no trace of alcohol in Carl Pistorius's blood in tests conducted after the accident.
His case is due in court in March, and his trial may end before that of his younger brother, which begins on 4 June.
South African media claim it was scheduled to begin last Thursday, but was postponed.
Oscar Pistorius is charged with premeditated murder for killing Steenkamp in the early hours on Valentine's Day. He denies the charges and claims he mistook her for an intruder.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Robbery Attempt in Sydney Bank, Armed Robbers on The Loose
- Father Spots A Bald Patch On The Lawn Outside His Girls' Bedroom And Gets Shocked At The Reason
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists