Indo-French Satellite SARAL Set to Take-Off on Monday
By Rohit KVN | February 24, 2013 9:05 PM EST
ISRO (Indian Space Research Organisation) has made all the necessary arrangements at Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota, Andhra Pradesh, as the countdown begins to close in for the launch of Indo-French satellite SARAL (Satellite with ARgos and ALtika).
The SARAL will be on board the ISRO's flagship space rocket PSLV-C20 (Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle).
The main objectives of Indo-French satellite SARAL include:
- Marine meteorology, sea state forecasting, operational oceanography.
- Seasonal forecasting.
- Climate and mean sea level monitoring.
- Ocean, earth system and climate research.
Besides SARAL, the PSLV-C20 will also carry six smaller satellites as well, two satellites UniBRITE and BRITE from Austria, and two Canadian satellites namely SAPPHIRE and NEOSS, two satellites each from Denmark (AAUSAT3) and UK (STRaND-1).
President of India Pranab Mukherjee will witness the SARAL launch at the Sriharikota space center. ISRO claimed that tomorrow's launch will be the 223rd PSLV mission and the ninth mission using PSLV 'Core Alone' variant.
ISRO had initially planned to launch SARAL mission last year on 12 December, but it was postponed for the need of additional tests to "address technical issues to ensure reliability", reported Economic Times.
The PSLV-C20 rocket carrying SARAL and six other mini satellites will be lift-off at 05:56 pm IST on Monday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- China Military PLA Drills Affect Flights, Hundreds Cancelled
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: EU Feared Won't Ever Enforce Sanctions on Russia; All Talk, No Force
- Health Canada Orders Labeling of Mechanically Tenderized Beef Meat
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Investigation into Cause of Crash Could Stretch to a Year; Black Box May Not Prove Missile as Cause
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More