After Nano, Tata Motors Working on Another Low-Cost Car: report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 24, 2013 5:22 PM EST
Tata Motors Ltd, India's largest vehicle maker, is reportedly working on another low-priced car with a composite material, according to The Economics Times.
Citing sources involved in Tata Motor's next low-cost car production project, ET reported that the company's car will use the same powertrain used in the Nano and will also maintain the same steering and suspension. Composite structures are more flexible and durable compared to metal. Instead of carbon fibre which is generally used in production of composite cars, the yet-to-be- launched Tata car will use an industrial-based material, poly-diallyl-phthalate (PDP), which is cheaper and will thus help in cutting down manufaturing costs.
"An affordable automobile designed by an Italian maverick that will rely on a material more common in industrial applications, that uses the Nano's powertrain, suspension and steering systems, and that will be priced slightly above the existing ultra low-cost car ( ULCC) has the top brass of Tata undecided on when it should be launched," reported ET reported.
It was said that Tata is currently looking to strengthen the market of its present cheapest car Nano in the country and the launch of the newest model will be taken into consideration after that. There are also views that the low-cost car would enhance the market position of Tata as well as its Nano.
The car "would be a good foil to the Nano and help strengthen Tata Motors' position in the low-cost small car segment," stated the report.
It was also said that the archetype of the car is ready for testing. Tata declined to comment on the newer development of the car.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money