After Nano, Tata Motors Working on Another Low-Cost Car: report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 24, 2013 5:22 PM EST
Tata Motors Ltd, India's largest vehicle maker, is reportedly working on another low-priced car with a composite material, according to The Economics Times.
Citing sources involved in Tata Motor's next low-cost car production project, ET reported that the company's car will use the same powertrain used in the Nano and will also maintain the same steering and suspension. Composite structures are more flexible and durable compared to metal. Instead of carbon fibre which is generally used in production of composite cars, the yet-to-be- launched Tata car will use an industrial-based material, poly-diallyl-phthalate (PDP), which is cheaper and will thus help in cutting down manufaturing costs.
"An affordable automobile designed by an Italian maverick that will rely on a material more common in industrial applications, that uses the Nano's powertrain, suspension and steering systems, and that will be priced slightly above the existing ultra low-cost car ( ULCC) has the top brass of Tata undecided on when it should be launched," reported ET reported.
It was said that Tata is currently looking to strengthen the market of its present cheapest car Nano in the country and the launch of the newest model will be taken into consideration after that. There are also views that the low-cost car would enhance the market position of Tata as well as its Nano.
The car "would be a good foil to the Nano and help strengthen Tata Motors' position in the low-cost small car segment," stated the report.
It was also said that the archetype of the car is ready for testing. Tata declined to comment on the newer development of the car.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools