Oscars 2013: Weirdest Academy Awards Moments, From John Travolta to Halle Berry and Gwyneth Paltrow
By Fiona Keating | February 24, 2013 3:52 AM EST
Ah, Hollywood, the land of dreams and the craziest people on the planet. Maybe it's the effect of being the fantasy figures of millions, or perhaps the numbing effect of sitting for hours at the awards ceremony, that the stars say and act in the strangest way. And we're not just talking about John Travolta's waxwork-like appearance.
Some of the most toe-curling moments include Marlon Brando refusing his 1972 Oscar for The Godfather. He boycotted the ceremony in 1973 and sent a woman named Sacheen Littlefeather to give a short speech protesting against the stereotypical treatment given to Native Americans by the film industry. Red faces all round, and it wasn't just from the champagne.
There was also a well-intentioned but poorly thought-out musical interlude when Debby Boone sang with a deaf children's choir who weren't really deaf. At her performance of the Oscar-nominated song You Light Up My Life, the cute group of children accompanying her didn't know sign language and weren't actually hearing impaired. Nice try, though.
Most Surreal Speech
Gwyneth Paltrow really earns two gongs here - one for most weepy woman to win the Oscars and also for La La Land hyperbole. At her win for Shakespeare in Love, 1999, she said: "My earthly guardian angel Mary Wigmore and especially to my father Bruce Paltrow who has surmounted any surmountable obstacles this year. I love you more than anything in the world. And to my grandpa Buster, who almost made it here tonight, but couldn't quite get here."
Oscars night is the smoochiest night apart from Valentine's, and Adrien Brody couldn't resist the temptation of planting a big smacker on Halle Berry on his win for The Pianist.
But even the most jaded journalist on the red carpet would have been goggling at Angelina Jolie. "I'm in shock. And I'm so in love with my brother right now, he just held me and said he loved me." She planted a passionate kiss on the lips of her brother James Haven when she won Best Supporting Actress for Girl, Interrupted in 2000. The clinch topped a poll of the worst celebrity public displays of affection.
Who else thinks that a metal statue is similar to a thirst-quenching liquid? "This is the best drink of water after the longest drought of my life," said Best Director and Best Picture winner Steven Spielberg, picking up the award for Schindler's List in 1994.
The ego has landed
Yes, Titanic was one of the biggest grossing films, making $2.9 billion worldwide, but a little humility would be nice. However, it's probably not in James Cameron's vocabulary. "I am the king of the world," he said unblushingly on winning Best Director in 1998.
Out and proud?
Well done to Tom Hanks for his pro-gay speech upon winning Philadelphia in 1994. "I would not be standing here if it weren't for two very important men in my life... my high school drama teacher, who taught me 'To act well the part, there all the glory lies,' and one of my classmates... Two of the finest gay Americans, two wonderful men that I had the good fortune to be associated with."
Maybe Hanks should have checked with his old teacher first, who wasn't actually out of the closet at the time.
We all know that actors need to be told how wonderful they are. But sometimes it's all a bit too obvious. "Did I really earn this, or did I just wear you all down?" asked Sandra Bullock after winning Best Actress for The Blind Side, 2010. The answer is yes, Sandra.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Kate Middleton Will Name Second Child Diana, Camilla Parker-Bowles Not Invited to Prince George’s Birthday - Reports
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- NCIS Season 12 Spoilers: Fans Fear Cote de Pablo Not Coming Back, Tony DiNozzo Moving On from Ziva David
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon