£500m Traced in 'Forgotten' UK Bank Accounts
By Timur Moon | February 24, 2013 12:12 AM EST
Nearly £500 million has been recovered in the past five years and returned to account holders after lying dormant in forgotten funds.
The funds were located through tracing services run by the financial industry, following the launch of the My Lost Account service in 2008.
Around 315,000 people have used the service and 580,000 search applications have been made, said operators.
The service allows customers to trace funds held in accounts in banks, building societies and National Savings and Investments.
"Even small amounts of money can help with the costs of day-to-day living, so it's important people keep a track of their savings," said NS&I's retail customer director John Prout.
NS&I has reunited customers with more than £445m through its tracing service and My Lost Account, which is run by NS&I, British Bankers' Association and the Building Societies Association.
The BBA and BSA received 400,000 applications, returning £200m to customers.
"During these tough economic times every penny counts," said Brian Morris, the BSA's head of savings.
"We fully understand the importance of the scheme and will do all we can to ensure as many people as possible become aware of this free and easy to use service."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Low Birth Rate May Be Due to Low Confidence in Economy
- Fears Of Infection Spread Prompt Some US Hospitals To Refuse Ebola Patients
- Readers Slam a Book Showing That US Wealth And Power Rests on Slave Labour
- LG G Watch R To Be Available Globally Starting With Europe, North America And Asia Through Retail Sites And Play Store
- Young Teen Fighter Says ISIS Uses Drugs On Suicide Bombers To Get Them Perform The Act
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS