£500m Traced in 'Forgotten' UK Bank Accounts
By Timur Moon | February 24, 2013 12:12 AM EST
Nearly £500 million has been recovered in the past five years and returned to account holders after lying dormant in forgotten funds.
The funds were located through tracing services run by the financial industry, following the launch of the My Lost Account service in 2008.
Around 315,000 people have used the service and 580,000 search applications have been made, said operators.
The service allows customers to trace funds held in accounts in banks, building societies and National Savings and Investments.
"Even small amounts of money can help with the costs of day-to-day living, so it's important people keep a track of their savings," said NS&I's retail customer director John Prout.
NS&I has reunited customers with more than £445m through its tracing service and My Lost Account, which is run by NS&I, British Bankers' Association and the Building Societies Association.
The BBA and BSA received 400,000 applications, returning £200m to customers.
"During these tough economic times every penny counts," said Brian Morris, the BSA's head of savings.
"We fully understand the importance of the scheme and will do all we can to ensure as many people as possible become aware of this free and easy to use service."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- China Military PLA Drills Affect Flights, Hundreds Cancelled
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: EU Feared Won't Ever Enforce Sanctions on Russia; All Talk, No Force
- U.S. Flights to Israel Now Lifted, Flights To and From Tel Aviv Resume – FAA
- Reserve Bank of New Zealand Raises Interest Rates Due to 'Unsustainable' Kiwi
- Embattled Malaysia Airlines Could Run Out of Cash 2015; Diverts Plane Over Another War Zone After MH17 Crash
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown