Eko Atlantic Project Reclaims 5,000,000 Sq m Land From Sea
By Sanchita Mukherjee | February 23, 2013 11:27 PM EST
Eko Atlantic, a new face in impressive urban construction in Nigeria, set records when it recently announced the successful reclamation of 5,000,000 square metres of land from the sea through its project.
Eko Atlantic, the idealised new city for Lagos, Nigeria drew outstanding presidential praise from both the Nigerian President, Goodluck Jonathan, and the former President of the United States of America, Bill Clinton during a dedication ceremony marking this milestone event.
The interesting Eko Atlantic land reclamation project was initiated in February 2008, with a 7-year unearthing operation planning to re-create 8,000 square metres of new land every day.
Aiming to build what they wanted to name, 'The Great Wall of Lagos', the Chagoury Group - developers and planners of Eko Atlantic, based in Lagos, Nigeria, zealously endeavoured to protect Victoria Island from coastal erosion due to the Atlantic Ocean forces.
Describing the development of Eko Atlantic as an outstanding initiative, President Jonathan said, "This landmark event is continuing the good news narrative that Nigeria must now embrace permanently. You cannot be hearing only ugly stories. Eko Atlantic City is bringing us happiness and this happiness has come to stay."
Ever since the commitment was made by the developers, the revetment named 'The Great Wall of Lagos' has accomplished a feat of a distance covering three and a half kilometres. This accomplishment of recovering land from the sea, gives Nigeria half the land to build a new city.
The Great Wall has rediscovered the coastline of Victoria Island and restored it to where it was a century ago before coastal erosion began to disintegrate the coast and wash it away.
"This is an ingenious engineering feat," said President Clinton. "This is something I am telling you there will be countless numbers of people coming here to study. It is something you can be very proud of."
The developers and city planners of this new city aim at producing 10,000,000 square metres of land on completion, which shall be termed to be ripe for development and analogous in size to the skyscraper district of Manhattan in New York City.
Eko Atlantic is being designed with the aim to provide the space and infrastructure to house 250,000 people and become the workplace for a further 150,000.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier to Give $5,000 Assistance to Victims’ Families; Bankruptcy Looms as 2 Air Mishaps Would Cost Firm Minimum $80.55 M Compensation
- Foxconn And Pegatron Corp Readies For Apple's iPhone 6 Mass Production This Month
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- KFC & McDonald’s Accused of Serving ‘Expired’ Meat to Customers
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More