PSG Look to ex-French PM Nicolas Sarkozy to Smooth Transfer Negotiations - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 23, 2013 8:43 PM EST
Former French president Nicolas Sarkozy is reportedly helping Ligue 1 club Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) bring Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger to replace Carlo Ancelotti at the club, according to the Daily Mail.
According to Le Nouvel, a French weekly magazine, Sarkozy is working with the capital club as a facilitator and has spoken to Wenger about a possible transfer at the end of the season. The Gunners' boss has long been linked with a return home but has often denied any connection, with the most recent being in December.
PSG are presently coached by Italian Carlo Ancelotti; the ex-Chelsea and AC Milan boss has taken the club to the top of the Ligue 1 this season and the knock-out stages of the Champions League.
Wenger's position at the Emirates is becoming increasingly untenable, following successive cup defeats to Championship side Blackburn (in the FA Cup) and Bundesliga leaders Bayern Munich (in the Champions League). In addition, a considerably below-par Premier League season, so far, has threatened the Gunners' proud record of consecutive season in Europe's premier club tournament; they are fifth with a four point gap to north London rivals Tottenham in fourth.
Meanwhile, the French capital club may have to battle Spanish champions Real Madrid for Wenger's services next season. Reports suggest Santiago Bernabeu officials have zeroed in on the Frenchman as Jose Mourinho's successor.
And, as if in implicit response to all these rumours, Wenger has admitted he has not considered long-term plans with Arsenal, at this point in time. The manager's contract expires in 2014 and although he has reportedly been offered a two-year extension, he remains cautious about his future.
"I have a contract until the end of 2014 and at the moment we are on a short-term plan. That is for two reasons: because I am here for a long time and, as well, I have to consider what I want to do," Wenger explained.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices