PSG Look to ex-French PM Nicolas Sarkozy to Smooth Transfer Negotiations - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 23, 2013 8:43 PM EST
Former French president Nicolas Sarkozy is reportedly helping Ligue 1 club Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) bring Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger to replace Carlo Ancelotti at the club, according to the Daily Mail.
According to Le Nouvel, a French weekly magazine, Sarkozy is working with the capital club as a facilitator and has spoken to Wenger about a possible transfer at the end of the season. The Gunners' boss has long been linked with a return home but has often denied any connection, with the most recent being in December.
PSG are presently coached by Italian Carlo Ancelotti; the ex-Chelsea and AC Milan boss has taken the club to the top of the Ligue 1 this season and the knock-out stages of the Champions League.
Wenger's position at the Emirates is becoming increasingly untenable, following successive cup defeats to Championship side Blackburn (in the FA Cup) and Bundesliga leaders Bayern Munich (in the Champions League). In addition, a considerably below-par Premier League season, so far, has threatened the Gunners' proud record of consecutive season in Europe's premier club tournament; they are fifth with a four point gap to north London rivals Tottenham in fourth.
Meanwhile, the French capital club may have to battle Spanish champions Real Madrid for Wenger's services next season. Reports suggest Santiago Bernabeu officials have zeroed in on the Frenchman as Jose Mourinho's successor.
And, as if in implicit response to all these rumours, Wenger has admitted he has not considered long-term plans with Arsenal, at this point in time. The manager's contract expires in 2014 and although he has reportedly been offered a two-year extension, he remains cautious about his future.
"I have a contract until the end of 2014 and at the moment we are on a short-term plan. That is for two reasons: because I am here for a long time and, as well, I have to consider what I want to do," Wenger explained.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery