PSG Look to ex-French PM Nicolas Sarkozy to Smooth Transfer Negotiations - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 23, 2013 8:43 PM EST
Former French president Nicolas Sarkozy is reportedly helping Ligue 1 club Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) bring Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger to replace Carlo Ancelotti at the club, according to the Daily Mail.
According to Le Nouvel, a French weekly magazine, Sarkozy is working with the capital club as a facilitator and has spoken to Wenger about a possible transfer at the end of the season. The Gunners' boss has long been linked with a return home but has often denied any connection, with the most recent being in December.
PSG are presently coached by Italian Carlo Ancelotti; the ex-Chelsea and AC Milan boss has taken the club to the top of the Ligue 1 this season and the knock-out stages of the Champions League.
Wenger's position at the Emirates is becoming increasingly untenable, following successive cup defeats to Championship side Blackburn (in the FA Cup) and Bundesliga leaders Bayern Munich (in the Champions League). In addition, a considerably below-par Premier League season, so far, has threatened the Gunners' proud record of consecutive season in Europe's premier club tournament; they are fifth with a four point gap to north London rivals Tottenham in fourth.
Meanwhile, the French capital club may have to battle Spanish champions Real Madrid for Wenger's services next season. Reports suggest Santiago Bernabeu officials have zeroed in on the Frenchman as Jose Mourinho's successor.
And, as if in implicit response to all these rumours, Wenger has admitted he has not considered long-term plans with Arsenal, at this point in time. The manager's contract expires in 2014 and although he has reportedly been offered a two-year extension, he remains cautious about his future.
"I have a contract until the end of 2014 and at the moment we are on a short-term plan. That is for two reasons: because I am here for a long time and, as well, I have to consider what I want to do," Wenger explained.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Finland Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Striker Fernando Torres Heads To AC Milan
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Signing A Striker Is Still Considered By Wenger
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide