PSG Look to ex-French PM Nicolas Sarkozy to Smooth Transfer Negotiations - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 23, 2013 8:43 PM EST
Former French president Nicolas Sarkozy is reportedly helping Ligue 1 club Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) bring Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger to replace Carlo Ancelotti at the club, according to the Daily Mail.
According to Le Nouvel, a French weekly magazine, Sarkozy is working with the capital club as a facilitator and has spoken to Wenger about a possible transfer at the end of the season. The Gunners' boss has long been linked with a return home but has often denied any connection, with the most recent being in December.
PSG are presently coached by Italian Carlo Ancelotti; the ex-Chelsea and AC Milan boss has taken the club to the top of the Ligue 1 this season and the knock-out stages of the Champions League.
Wenger's position at the Emirates is becoming increasingly untenable, following successive cup defeats to Championship side Blackburn (in the FA Cup) and Bundesliga leaders Bayern Munich (in the Champions League). In addition, a considerably below-par Premier League season, so far, has threatened the Gunners' proud record of consecutive season in Europe's premier club tournament; they are fifth with a four point gap to north London rivals Tottenham in fourth.
Meanwhile, the French capital club may have to battle Spanish champions Real Madrid for Wenger's services next season. Reports suggest Santiago Bernabeu officials have zeroed in on the Frenchman as Jose Mourinho's successor.
And, as if in implicit response to all these rumours, Wenger has admitted he has not considered long-term plans with Arsenal, at this point in time. The manager's contract expires in 2014 and although he has reportedly been offered a two-year extension, he remains cautious about his future.
"I have a contract until the end of 2014 and at the moment we are on a short-term plan. That is for two reasons: because I am here for a long time and, as well, I have to consider what I want to do," Wenger explained.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft