iOS 6.1.2 Untethered Jailbreak: How to Jailbreak iPhone 4/3GS and iPod Touch 4G Using Sn0wbreeze 2.9.11 [Tutorial]
By Vinod Yalburgi | February 23, 2013 6:59 PM EST
iH8sn0w recently released the updated version of Sn0wbreeze - v2.9.11 which supports iOS 6.1.2 untethered jailbreak on pre-A5 devices including iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 4G. It adds bug-fixes for Cydia compatibility issues with the untether package on 6.1.2. However, owners of newer iOS devices such as iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPad 4, iPad 3, iPad 2, iPad mini and iPod touch 5G should use the Evasi0n 1.4 tool for jailbreaking their devices untethered, as Sn0wbreeze still has no support for A5, A5X, A6 and A6X devices.
Here is the complete change log for the newly released Sn0wbreeze 2.9.11 (including release notes for v2.9.10, v2.9.9 and v2.9.8):
- 2.9.11: Fixed bug with Cydia having "compatibility-issues" with the untether package on 6.1.2.
- 2.9.10: Added Apple TV 2 iOS 5.2 sandbox fix. (thanks to nitoTV)
- 2.9.10: Added iOS 6.1.2 support for 3GS/A4 devices (as usual).
- 2.9.9: Fixed issue with device not showing up in iTunes/xcode.
- 2.9.9: Fixed bug when building iPhone3,2 (iPhone 4 GSM-Rev2) IPSW.
- 2.9.9: Apple TV 2 bug-fixes.
- 2.9.9: Now adds evasi0n untether directly to Cydia (for future updates).
- Added 5.2/6.0.x/6.1 untethers provided by evad3rs
- Added iOS 6.1 support for iPhone 3GS, and A4 devices.
- Fixed Hacktivation issues on 6.0.x.
- Fixed some iFaith mode bugs.
Users of pre-A5 devices can stick to the tried and tested Sn0wbreeze tool (Windows only) in order to create a custom jailbroken firmware file for upgrading their iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch to iOS 6.1.2. Older iPhone users (iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS) can also preserve their baseband from getting upgraded so that it can be unlocked using Ultrasn0w (check our step-by-step guide here).
NOTE: Sn0wbreeze is preferred over Evasi0n as a jailbreaking tool for its innate exploits involving carrier unlock and hacktivation capability. However, such feats no longer work on newer A5 devices and above (such as iPhone 5, iPhone 4S), as the tool lacks low-level DFU exploits to be able to inject jailbreaks into them.
Check out our complete step-by-step guide to jailbreak iOS 6.1.2 untethered using Sn0wbreeze below:
How to Jailbreak iOS 6.1.2 Untethered on iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 4G Using Sn0wbreeze 2.9.11
Step 1: Download the latest version of Sn0wbreeze from here.
Note: Windows 8 users should download and install .NET Framework 3.5 from here.
Step 2: Connect your iOS 6 device to the Windows computer via the 30-pin connection cable. Note: The new version of Sn0wbreeze also supports an untethered jailbreak on Apple TV 5.2 firmware.
Step 3: Browse and select the downloaded Sn0wbreeze v2.9.11 file from step 1 and extract the file to a folder on desktop. Then launch the executable file from the extracted folder.
Step 4: Tap the blue next button at the bottom-right corner of the display and hit Browse for an IPSW button. Now, point Sn0wbreeze to the relevant firmware for the device. The latest version iOS 6.1.2 firmware can be downloaded here.
Step 5: After Sn0wbreeze successfully recognises the IPSW firmware file, choose Next and click Simple Mode option (other two options - iFaith Mode and Expert Mode - are not needed at this time).
Step 6: Sn0wbreeze stitches together a custom created IPSW firmware image file that can be restored to the device. This process may take some time. So, just relax and enjoy a game of PacMan (click on the button) or wait until the process completes.
Step 7: Once the custom firmware is ready, a "Done" message appears on screen. Now, click OK and follow the onscreen instructions to place your device in Pwned DFU Mode.
Step 8: After clicking OK, Sn0wbreeze alerts you that the device has entered Pwned DFU Mode. Exit or close Sn0wbreeze, launch iTunes and choose the connected device in the left hand menu.
Step 9: Hold Shift key on the keyboard and hit Restore in iTunes. When iTunes prompts to select a firmware file, browse and select the custom created IPSW that is extracted to the desktop.
Step 10: Wait until iTunes completes the restore process. After the process is complete, your iOS device will be fully jailbroken and the striking Cydia icon will appear on the home screen.
[Source: Redmond Pie]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Out There To Save His Two Favourite Ladies In Mid-season Finale
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change