American Idol 2013 (Season 12) is probably Charlie Askew's biggest social adventure yet. He has said interacting with different people has always been difficult for him, but he can express himself through music. On Thursday night, Idol viewers took a deeper look into the enigma that is Nature Boy.
In the photo: American Idol judges for Season 12
Askew, 17, from Little Rock, Arkansas is one of the early favorites this Idol season for different reasons. Read on for the Top 10 of those reasons.
10. Shy awkward smile and demeanor. Case in point: the pre-audition interviews. You just know there's something about the puzzle that is Charlie Askew.
9. The doctor told Charlie's mom he has the Charlie Askew syndrome. He says, "Don't worry, it's not contagious." He is like a young Chandler Bing, except he sings well.
8. He whistles out, he smiles to the crew, he giggles to himself. He said he used to sing to the birds.
7. "I hope so!" He tells the Idol judges when he was asked if he's the next American Idol. Nicki Minaj pushed him to give a cliché, but he won with "a reluctant yes."
6. Randy Jackson struggled in describing him, called him a "seemingly dark" character, and he laughed his heart out at Randy.
5. Beautiful vocal tone. Raw, uncorrupted, un-pop. Just listen.
4. Witty, quick, unafraid. Always ready with comebacks, unafraid to ask JDa about what to wear. He said he glorifies weirdness, and he shows he means it every step of the way.
3. When everyone was busy trying to look cute and likeable on camera, he struck a comic superhero pose when his name was called during the start of Sudden Death, Round 2. When everyone else was looking tense as the group was coming up from under the stage, Charlie's hands were raised, enjoying the "magic" in the moment.
2. He tells the audience to "really yell!" He's having a lot of, if not the most fun on stage. He frequently spreads his arms and looks up to the sky in joy up on stage. But nobody can tell him he's not taking the show seriously. He is not this season's Heejun Han. This guy understands music and what he can create with it.
1. Charlie Askew always nails the right song. From "Breakthrough" to "Nature Boy" to "Rocket Man," the kid is telling the story of his life, his ordeal, his personal message. "Someone that I Used to Know" was also a smart choice. It was overplayed, but when Charlie sang it, the notes came out clothed in something else, something special.
Curtis Finch, Jr. must also be credited in endearing Charlie Askew to avid Idol viewers. When Charlie fell ill just before group rounds in Hollywood, his team mate Curtis was taped saying, "I'm here to send him home in the first place. So I'll help him pack... If all else fails, I'll just worry about myself. So I can be American Idol and not American Airlines." After they all went through, Ryan asked if everything was OK, and Finch said, "Absolutely, 'cause we all have the same vision." In that moment, Charlie Askew gained more sympathy, more followers, more support.
VIDEO: Charlie Askew Auditions in Baton Rouge (Nature Boy)
VIDEO: Charlie Askew Sings "Somebody that I Used to Know" in Hollywood
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 'Game of Thrones'-like Film, 'The Queen of the Tearling,' Casts Emma Watson as Lead Star and Exec Producer [PHOTOS]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Movie Casting: Selena Gomez Open to Nude Role, Ready for Anastasia Steele? [PHOTOS]
- Asus Transformer Infinity Pad, Sony Vaio Duo, Toshiba Satellite, A Look at Intel's Haswell 4th Generation Ultrabooks and Notebooks [Photos]
- Jackie Chan Dead 2013: Where is the Chinese Actor Amid Resurfaced Fake Death Reports? [PHOTOS]