Nokia vs Samsung: Hardware Giants Goes Head-to-Head over Budget 'Feature' Phones
By Gilda Galang | February 23, 2013 12:37 PM EST
The battle for smartphones has always been concentrated on what's new and what's coming. But on the other side of the population, you have entire markets who are for feature phones that are more budget-friendly without giving up too much of the quality.
In this face-off, take a look at what Nokia currently has to offer for its feature phones compared to its close competitor in this segment, which is Samsung.
Nokia's Asha expands its line
Used to be, Nokia was among the top phone makers in the industry, but now, it has begun to give way to the bigwigs like Apple and Samsung in some areas of the world.
This doesn't mean that Nokia has lost its entire market. India Times reports that a Neilson India survey showed that Nokia is still the top-of-mind brand that India trusts. Samsung follows closely at second place.
As far as its feature phones are concerned, Nokia's Asha line has been far-reaching and expansive. Last year, it released its 311 phone, which was considered to be the top model for the line, and boasts a stylish look, long-lasting battery life, and admirable performance considering its class, report PC Tech Mag.
The low-end smartphones boast a dual-SIM feature and w-fi access, complete with 3-inch touch screen display and a 2 mega-pixel camera.
For those who are on a budget, Reuters reports that the incorporation of a dual SIM and Wi-Fi component ensures that users have a choice on how they would want to maximize their connectivity.
Samsung REX Phones, four-of-a-kind
First developed in India and slated to be distributed around the world, the REX series is presented as a smart solution for those who don't want to compromise quality with price.
It's a direct jab at Nokia, considering how Nokia has been reported to be the trusted brand in India. But one should also consider that Samsung is still vying for the customers' trust as second place in the reported study.
The REX line from Samsung now features four models, reports ThinkDigit. The Rex 60, has a 2.8-inch QVGA display with Samsung's TouchWiz UI, 30 MB user memory, and up to 16GB of microSD storage, a 1.3 mega-pixel camera, USB 2.0, and a Bluetooth 3.0.
The Rex 70 has a slightly bigger screen at 3inches, 2 mega-pixel camera, EDGE support, a USB 2.0, Bluetooth v 3.0, and the TouchWiz UI. It has a capacity of 10MB as well as a microSD slot of 32GB. The Rex 80 shares pretty much the same features as its 70 counterpart, only this time, it has a built in 20 MB user memory and a microSD slot of up to 16GB.
The Samsung Rex 90 has a 3.5-inch HVGA, a 3.2 mega-pixel camera, Bluetooth, USB 2.0, EDGE, a 10MB user memory with up to 32GB of microSD memory, and the TouchWiz UI.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Windows 9 Release Date on October 2014, Not April 2015; Three Reasons to Upgrade from Windows XP and 7
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 vs 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
- Windows 9 Release: Reasons of Free Download for Windows 8 and Windows 7 Customers
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date and Specs Speculations: Smartphone May Be Released in October or November 2014! – Report
- Windows Phone 8.1: Australia, Canada, New Zealand, U.S. and UK Status; How to Download and Install
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports