Nokia vs Samsung: Hardware Giants Goes Head-to-Head over Budget 'Feature' Phones
By Gilda Galang | February 23, 2013 12:37 PM EST
The battle for smartphones has always been concentrated on what's new and what's coming. But on the other side of the population, you have entire markets who are for feature phones that are more budget-friendly without giving up too much of the quality.
In this face-off, take a look at what Nokia currently has to offer for its feature phones compared to its close competitor in this segment, which is Samsung.
Nokia's Asha expands its line
Used to be, Nokia was among the top phone makers in the industry, but now, it has begun to give way to the bigwigs like Apple and Samsung in some areas of the world.
This doesn't mean that Nokia has lost its entire market. India Times reports that a Neilson India survey showed that Nokia is still the top-of-mind brand that India trusts. Samsung follows closely at second place.
As far as its feature phones are concerned, Nokia's Asha line has been far-reaching and expansive. Last year, it released its 311 phone, which was considered to be the top model for the line, and boasts a stylish look, long-lasting battery life, and admirable performance considering its class, report PC Tech Mag.
The low-end smartphones boast a dual-SIM feature and w-fi access, complete with 3-inch touch screen display and a 2 mega-pixel camera.
For those who are on a budget, Reuters reports that the incorporation of a dual SIM and Wi-Fi component ensures that users have a choice on how they would want to maximize their connectivity.
Samsung REX Phones, four-of-a-kind
First developed in India and slated to be distributed around the world, the REX series is presented as a smart solution for those who don't want to compromise quality with price.
It's a direct jab at Nokia, considering how Nokia has been reported to be the trusted brand in India. But one should also consider that Samsung is still vying for the customers' trust as second place in the reported study.
The REX line from Samsung now features four models, reports ThinkDigit. The Rex 60, has a 2.8-inch QVGA display with Samsung's TouchWiz UI, 30 MB user memory, and up to 16GB of microSD storage, a 1.3 mega-pixel camera, USB 2.0, and a Bluetooth 3.0.
The Rex 70 has a slightly bigger screen at 3inches, 2 mega-pixel camera, EDGE support, a USB 2.0, Bluetooth v 3.0, and the TouchWiz UI. It has a capacity of 10MB as well as a microSD slot of 32GB. The Rex 80 shares pretty much the same features as its 70 counterpart, only this time, it has a built in 20 MB user memory and a microSD slot of up to 16GB.
The Samsung Rex 90 has a 3.5-inch HVGA, a 3.2 mega-pixel camera, Bluetooth, USB 2.0, EDGE, a 10MB user memory with up to 32GB of microSD memory, and the TouchWiz UI.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Android L 5.0 Eligible And Ineligible Devices: Nexus Gadgets, Google Play Edition And Android One
- Know More About ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Team Aqua And Magma, Pokemon Bank and Global Link
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Release Dates Set To Hit 3 Areas As Early As September
- 'Dragon Age: Inquisition' Warrior, Rogue, Mage Gameplay And Combat Strategies
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ And ‘Rogue’ Updates: More Revealed For Co-Op, Collector’s Edition And Possible PC Debut
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone