Nokia vs Samsung: Hardware Giants Goes Head-to-Head over Budget 'Feature' Phones
By Gilda Galang | February 23, 2013 12:37 PM EST
The battle for smartphones has always been concentrated on what's new and what's coming. But on the other side of the population, you have entire markets who are for feature phones that are more budget-friendly without giving up too much of the quality.
In this face-off, take a look at what Nokia currently has to offer for its feature phones compared to its close competitor in this segment, which is Samsung.
Nokia's Asha expands its line
Used to be, Nokia was among the top phone makers in the industry, but now, it has begun to give way to the bigwigs like Apple and Samsung in some areas of the world.
This doesn't mean that Nokia has lost its entire market. India Times reports that a Neilson India survey showed that Nokia is still the top-of-mind brand that India trusts. Samsung follows closely at second place.
As far as its feature phones are concerned, Nokia's Asha line has been far-reaching and expansive. Last year, it released its 311 phone, which was considered to be the top model for the line, and boasts a stylish look, long-lasting battery life, and admirable performance considering its class, report PC Tech Mag.
The low-end smartphones boast a dual-SIM feature and w-fi access, complete with 3-inch touch screen display and a 2 mega-pixel camera.
For those who are on a budget, Reuters reports that the incorporation of a dual SIM and Wi-Fi component ensures that users have a choice on how they would want to maximize their connectivity.
Samsung REX Phones, four-of-a-kind
First developed in India and slated to be distributed around the world, the REX series is presented as a smart solution for those who don't want to compromise quality with price.
It's a direct jab at Nokia, considering how Nokia has been reported to be the trusted brand in India. But one should also consider that Samsung is still vying for the customers' trust as second place in the reported study.
The REX line from Samsung now features four models, reports ThinkDigit. The Rex 60, has a 2.8-inch QVGA display with Samsung's TouchWiz UI, 30 MB user memory, and up to 16GB of microSD storage, a 1.3 mega-pixel camera, USB 2.0, and a Bluetooth 3.0.
The Rex 70 has a slightly bigger screen at 3inches, 2 mega-pixel camera, EDGE support, a USB 2.0, Bluetooth v 3.0, and the TouchWiz UI. It has a capacity of 10MB as well as a microSD slot of 32GB. The Rex 80 shares pretty much the same features as its 70 counterpart, only this time, it has a built in 20 MB user memory and a microSD slot of up to 16GB.
The Samsung Rex 90 has a 3.5-inch HVGA, a 3.2 mega-pixel camera, Bluetooth, USB 2.0, EDGE, a 10MB user memory with up to 32GB of microSD memory, and the TouchWiz UI.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Halo: The Master Chief Collection' Xbox One Fixes And Free Gifts, Bonnie Ross Apologises For Issues
- PS4 vs. Xbox One Black Friday Sale 2014, Cyber Monday Deals: Walmart’s PS4 Bundles And Discounted Games With Gold
- ‘GTA V:' 1.19 Patch, Heists DLC Release With ‘Next Major Update’ Possible—Report
- Apple’s Black Friday Sale Versus Other Retailers
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Update Version 1.1, Eon Ticket And Delta Episode Info Appear
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft