Nokia vs Samsung: Hardware Giants Goes Head-to-Head over Budget 'Feature' Phones
By Gilda Galang | February 23, 2013 12:37 PM EST
The battle for smartphones has always been concentrated on what's new and what's coming. But on the other side of the population, you have entire markets who are for feature phones that are more budget-friendly without giving up too much of the quality.
In this face-off, take a look at what Nokia currently has to offer for its feature phones compared to its close competitor in this segment, which is Samsung.
Nokia's Asha expands its line
Used to be, Nokia was among the top phone makers in the industry, but now, it has begun to give way to the bigwigs like Apple and Samsung in some areas of the world.
This doesn't mean that Nokia has lost its entire market. India Times reports that a Neilson India survey showed that Nokia is still the top-of-mind brand that India trusts. Samsung follows closely at second place.
As far as its feature phones are concerned, Nokia's Asha line has been far-reaching and expansive. Last year, it released its 311 phone, which was considered to be the top model for the line, and boasts a stylish look, long-lasting battery life, and admirable performance considering its class, report PC Tech Mag.
The low-end smartphones boast a dual-SIM feature and w-fi access, complete with 3-inch touch screen display and a 2 mega-pixel camera.
For those who are on a budget, Reuters reports that the incorporation of a dual SIM and Wi-Fi component ensures that users have a choice on how they would want to maximize their connectivity.
Samsung REX Phones, four-of-a-kind
First developed in India and slated to be distributed around the world, the REX series is presented as a smart solution for those who don't want to compromise quality with price.
It's a direct jab at Nokia, considering how Nokia has been reported to be the trusted brand in India. But one should also consider that Samsung is still vying for the customers' trust as second place in the reported study.
The REX line from Samsung now features four models, reports ThinkDigit. The Rex 60, has a 2.8-inch QVGA display with Samsung's TouchWiz UI, 30 MB user memory, and up to 16GB of microSD storage, a 1.3 mega-pixel camera, USB 2.0, and a Bluetooth 3.0.
The Rex 70 has a slightly bigger screen at 3inches, 2 mega-pixel camera, EDGE support, a USB 2.0, Bluetooth v 3.0, and the TouchWiz UI. It has a capacity of 10MB as well as a microSD slot of 32GB. The Rex 80 shares pretty much the same features as its 70 counterpart, only this time, it has a built in 20 MB user memory and a microSD slot of up to 16GB.
The Samsung Rex 90 has a 3.5-inch HVGA, a 3.2 mega-pixel camera, Bluetooth, USB 2.0, EDGE, a 10MB user memory with up to 32GB of microSD memory, and the TouchWiz UI.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xbox’s September Games with Gold Features Halo Reach As Halo 5: Guardians And Master Chief Collection Get Details
- ‘Minecraft Xbox One Edition’ Updates From Devs Plus More On Minecraft On The Xbox Platform
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ Delayed To November As ‘Rogue’ Gets More Story Details
- 'World Of Warcraft’ Brings Back The ‘Gaze Of The Black Prince’ Buff From Sept. 2-16, 2014 After ‘Warlords Of Draenor' Patch 6.0.1 Beta Notes Update [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Dragon Age: Inquisition': Romancing Solas, Morrigan's Human Side And Dragon Age Keep User Interface
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones