PS4 vs. Xbox 720: 3 Ways Microsoft's Next-Gen Console Can Beat The PlayStation 4
By Ian Kar | February 23, 2013 7:38 AM EST
This past Wednesday, Sony introduced the PlayStation 4, to much fanfare and a few criticisms. While the demonstrations certainly looked incredible, Sony failed to actually show the PS4 during the entire two-hour presentation.
While people are certainly hyped up about the PS4, Microsoft, one of Sony's biggest competitors in the video game market, can capitalize on this and when they unveil the rumored Xbox 720. Here two other ways Microsoft's Xbox 720 can outshine Sony's PS4.
1. Actually Bring The Console To The Launch
It doesn't sound that complicated, but Sony opted not to bring the PS4 to its Wednesday event, and some fans were not pleased. The PS4 is rumored to be released around the 2013 holiday season, so Sony has 10 months before the product actually goes on sale. But the problem is everyone is waiting to see what the console looks like. Shareholders, as the ones financing the company, have a right to see what Sony has been building for the past few years and make investments based on what they see. Since Wednesday, Sony's stock (NYSE: SNE) has been falling precipitously.
Microsoft can assuage Wall Street's concerns about its next-gen console by actually unveiling it. Shareholders and potential customers alike will be relieved to see a (hopefully) sleek and modern update to the Xbox 360 during Microsoft's presentation.
2. Keep The Price Low
Sony didn't announce any pricing terms during its event Wednesday, but rumors indicate the PS4 will be priced between $300 to $500 for all models. It seems like Sony learned from its mistake when the PS3 came out in 2006, where they charged a staggering $600 for the console and initial sales were poor and didn't pick up until the company lowered the price for the PS3.
Unlike Sony, Microsoft had a perfect strategy in 2006; price the Xbox 360 high enough to make a decent profit but lower than Sony's PS3. And it worked, as Microsoft's Xbox 360 became one of the best selling video game consoles ever. Analysts hypothesize the alleged Xbox 720 will come in two different models and be priced at $300 and $400, respectively. With these prices, the Xbox 720 could still be competitive with Wii U, undercut the PS4's prices, and potentially make a profit for Microsoft.
3. Release An Amazing Controller/Kinect 2.0
Sony has drastically updated its DualShock controller and the fourth version might be its best: A touchpad, motion sensors installed into the controller, and a share button. Analysts feel that with the DualShock 4 controller, Sony has gotten ahead of the competition, however, Microsoft can easily win back critics by introducing a new controller with as many features as the PlayStation 4 or working on Kinect to turn it into the "next-gen controller."
Microsoft and the Xbox team has an opportunity to build off of competitors like Sony and Nintendo and make an even better product. Back in 2005, the Xbox 360 was released before the PlayStation 3, and Sony managed to add some features like a Blu-Ray drive and Wi-Fi connectivity to the PS3. Hopefully, Microsoft can manage to add some features to the rumored Xbox 720 after Sony's event Wednesday that can separate the 720 from other next-gen devices.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- 'The Sims 4' Mac Version: Bugs, Missing Elements Players Must Be Prepared Of
- 'World Of Warcraft' ‘The Iron Tide' 6.0.2 Patch Hotfixes Update Including New Resolved Issues Regarding Scenarios, Raids, Classes, Battlegrounds And Arenas
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation