Alpari Grain Outlook 02/22
By Tim Hannagan | February 23, 2013 6:31 AM EST
The weekly export sales report, one day delayed due to the holiday was misleading for the soybeans. Soybean exports last week were minus 119 t.m.t., a marketing year low.
This was the second consecutive week in which we saw more cancellations of previous purchases than new purchases. This has come to play as China has been canceling previous US bean purchases to re- buy on Brazilian ports at a better value. The problem is this week China has been rumored to be buying as much as 10 to 12 cargo ships of soybeans, which were switched from Brazilian ports to US ports due to the recent logjam at Brazilian ports. There is over 100 ships moored at sea, waiting to get into port and trucks loaded with soybeans 20 to 25 miles long, waiting to unload. Dockworkers continued to fight with the government over their threat to privatize export terminals. Talk today (Friday) has dockworkers going out on a six hour work stoppage. Beans had traded as high as 25 higher on the day. Trader fear is they may come in Sunday night, when electronic trading opens up and find dockworkers on strike for the week. As I've noted in the past, truck and dockworker jobs are among the highest paid jobs in Brazil, so strikes are very short-lived. The threat of a strike and shipping problems out of Brazil certainly is bullish near term. But six weeks from today harvest will be winding down and a record crop out of Brazil and Argentina, will have us hearing about further cancellations of previous Chinese US purchases and Argentina, will have us hearing about further cancellations of previous Chinese US purchases and switching back to Brazilian ports at cheaper value on a measurable correction in futures. But spike rallies on strike talk remains the markets main upside threat daily.
May bean resistance today is 15.00 then 15.25 with support at 14.70 then 14.50. The May wheat support is 7.20 then 6.50 with resistance at 7.40. May corn support is 6.80 then 6.65 and 6.35 with resistance 7.10 then 7.20. Corn remains in a downtrend from a fundamental and technical outlook. Wheat is posting some long term chart support but a measurable rally cannot appear unless we have production problems after we break dormancy in March.
For those who have questions on grains or would like to open a futures trading account at Alpari and use me as your broker, call me at 312-470-1112 x3304 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Disclaimer: Trading foreign exchange, commodity futures, options and other over-the-counter products carries a high level of risk and may not be suitable for all investors. The high degree of leverage associated with such trading can result in substantial losses, as well as gains. The past performance of any trading strategy or methodology is not indicative of future results, which can vary due to market volatility; it should not be interpreted as a forecast of future performance. You should carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition, level of experience and appetite for risk, and seek advice from an independent financial advisor, if you have any doubts. Alpari (US), LLC is dually registered with the CFTC as a Futures Commission Merchant and Retail Foreign Exchange Dealer and has been a member of the NFA since 2007 - Member ID: 0379678.
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5 Countries That Make The Best Beer
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 19, 2014
- Global Markets Overview – September 19, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning September 19, 2014
- Masayoshi Son Is Japan’s Richest Man As Softbank Shares Surge Ahead Of Alibaba IPO; More Millionaires Among Alibaba Employees On The Way
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet