Swiss authorities to aid Heinz insider-dealing probe
February 23, 2013 5:21 AM EST
Swiss authorities said they will aid a U.S. investigation into alleged insider trading in connection with H.J. Heinz Co
Options markets participants noted extremely unusual activity almost immediately after Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway
Last week the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) filed a suit against unnamed traders who it said used a Goldman Sachs
"We're in touch with the SEC and will, as in all cases of this nature, cooperate to the extent of our legal possibilities," Swiss financial regulator FINMA said in a statement on Friday.
The traded call options - agreements that gives the option to buy the shares at a pre-determined price at a specified date - are also being investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
Roland Leithaeuser, a Frankfurt-based spokesman for Goldman Sachs, said that the U.S. investment bank is cooperating fully with the SEC's investigation. Goldman Sachs has not been accused of wrong-doing.
Heinz, Berkshire Hathaway and 3G Capital have all declined to comment.
The Brazilian founder of 3G, Jorge Paulo Lemann, has made a home in Switzerland since the 1990s. He has not been implicated in any wrongdoing related to the deal.
(Reporting By Katharina Bart and Oliver Hirt; Editing by David Goodman)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2
- 'ISIL Has To Be Defeated, Plain And Simple, End Of Story,' Sen. John Kerry
- New Samsung Galaxy S5 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Released, Verizon Guide and Installation