Jimmy Savile's Penthouse Finally Sells After Price Crash
By Dominic Gover | February 23, 2013 4:44 AM EST
The home owned by Britain's most infamous child sex abuser Jimmy Savile has finally been sold - but only after £75,000 was slashed from the asking price.
Savile lived in the property at Lake View Court in Roundhay, Leeds, until his death in 2011.
It had been expected to fetch up to £325,000 until allegations of child abuse by the former Jim'll Fix It presenter surfaced last year.
Savile's reputation was destroyed by a litany of allegations by victims, who revealed the BBC star exploited his position to gain access to young children and teenagers.
As a result of the allegations, the value of the property plummeted.
His three-bedroom penthouse with a parking space eventually sold this month for £250,000. It also comes with stunning views of Roundhay park, visible from a balcony overlooking a clump of trees.
Now the gaudy residence, with gold print and animal theme decoration, is set to be demolished by the new owners, severing the link with Savile.
A spokesman for the Leeds-based business which purchased the Penthouse explained what will happen next.
New owner CXI 92 Ltd told the Daily Mail: "I'll be honest, we negotiated a good deal and we bought the property because of the low price.
"I can tell you that we are going to demolish the property and completely rebuild it before selling it or possibly using it as a rental property.
"We are going to demolish it in the next six months to two years because of the terrible, terrible condition it is in."
It is not clear what will happen to the proceeds from the sale. Savile's estate will get the money, but its assets have been frozen by the executor, NatWest bank.
Thirteen police forces investigated allegations against Savile after his death, uncovering a reign of abuse which lasted decades.
The scandal also rocked the BBC when it was revealed the Corporation repeatedly failed to take action to stop Savile. Director General George Entwistle was forced to resign from his post, only weeks after being appointed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Has ‘Strict Style Guide,’ Expected To Wear Winter Wardrobes During Pregnancy
- Bizarre Sex Abuse: Man Licks Woman’s Foot in Canada, Runs Away With Her Shoe
- New Zealand Pre-schooler Suffers Attack For Wearing A Jewish Cap; Anti-Semitic Act Condemned
- Australia's Direct Action Policy To Increase Projected Emmisions By 2020 -- UN Report
- Canadian Soldier Dies in 'Freak Accident' at Work
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports