Jimmy Savile's Penthouse Finally Sells After Price Crash
By Dominic Gover | February 23, 2013 4:44 AM EST
The home owned by Britain's most infamous child sex abuser Jimmy Savile has finally been sold - but only after £75,000 was slashed from the asking price.
Savile lived in the property at Lake View Court in Roundhay, Leeds, until his death in 2011.
It had been expected to fetch up to £325,000 until allegations of child abuse by the former Jim'll Fix It presenter surfaced last year.
Savile's reputation was destroyed by a litany of allegations by victims, who revealed the BBC star exploited his position to gain access to young children and teenagers.
As a result of the allegations, the value of the property plummeted.
His three-bedroom penthouse with a parking space eventually sold this month for £250,000. It also comes with stunning views of Roundhay park, visible from a balcony overlooking a clump of trees.
Now the gaudy residence, with gold print and animal theme decoration, is set to be demolished by the new owners, severing the link with Savile.
A spokesman for the Leeds-based business which purchased the Penthouse explained what will happen next.
New owner CXI 92 Ltd told the Daily Mail: "I'll be honest, we negotiated a good deal and we bought the property because of the low price.
"I can tell you that we are going to demolish the property and completely rebuild it before selling it or possibly using it as a rental property.
"We are going to demolish it in the next six months to two years because of the terrible, terrible condition it is in."
It is not clear what will happen to the proceeds from the sale. Savile's estate will get the money, but its assets have been frozen by the executor, NatWest bank.
Thirteen police forces investigated allegations against Savile after his death, uncovering a reign of abuse which lasted decades.
The scandal also rocked the BBC when it was revealed the Corporation repeatedly failed to take action to stop Savile. Director General George Entwistle was forced to resign from his post, only weeks after being appointed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Asylum Seeker Women in Australia-Run Christmas Island Attempt Suicide in Desperation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales