France seeks extra year for 3 pct/GDP deficit target
February 23, 2013 2:00 AM EST
France will ask its EU partners and the European Commission for an extra year to cut its public deficit below a targeted 3 percent of GDP and will outline new savings measures soon, Finance Minister Pierre Moscovici said on Friday.
Moscovici, reacting to economic forecasts from the Commission that put France's public deficit at 3.7 percent of gross domestic product for 2013, said the government still maintained its longer term goal of a zero deficit in 2017.
France is one of several euro zone countries likely to miss their deficit targets because of economic weakness and hoping to be granted leeway providing they reduce underlying shortfalls in their finances and pledge further fiscal efforts.
"What is being envisaged is a delay. (The target) is not being pushed back indefinitely. This does not count as abandoning the targets because the (economic) situation justifies it," Moscovici told a news conference.
"To reach the goal of 3 percent in 2014 we have already decided on a number of savings measures," he said, adding that details would be given in the weeks ahead. "There is no question of slackening our effort with the structural gap in 2013," he said of the part of the deficit not dependent on swings in the economic cycle.
The Socialist government says it does not want to impose too much austerity on an economy teetering near recession, and for now Moscovici said it was sticking to a plan to make savings of 60 billion euros (51.93 billion pounds) over five years.
The Commission estimated that France cut its structural deficit by 1.2 percentage points in 2012 to 3.3 percent and will cut it further this year to 2.0 percent.
(Reporting by Leigh Thomas; Writing by Catherine Bremer; editing by Mark John)
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Out There To Save His Two Favourite Ladies In Mid-season Finale
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change