Sea Otter in Oregon Zoo Rivals NBA All-Stars, Shoots Hoops for Fun [VIDEO]
By drishya Nair | February 22, 2013 11:26 PM EST
A video of a Sea Otter playing basketball has been uploaded the Oregon Zoo, in Portland, USA. The otter, Eddie, has arthritis in his elbows and the 15-year-old mammal was trained to dunk baskets to exercise his limbs and provide some relief.
Eddie has been training for over a year now... and shoots hoops with all the style of a seasoned NBA pro. In fact, he might outshoot some of them, for he rarely misses!
The video, which already has well over two million views, shows Eddie shooting with a plastic ball, in a private pool not usually accessible to visitors. The adorable sight of Eddie dunking is not something the zoo wishes to cash in on.
According to National Geographic, the Sea Otter is an aquatic member of the weasel family and is found along the coast of the Pacific Ocean, near North America and Asia. The Sea Otter is a carnivore and eat clams, mussels, crabs, fish and even the odd octopus. The animal, classified as Enhydra lutris, is endangered, according to the IUCN.
Otters use their back legs and flippers to swim and Jenny DeGroot, the Oregon Zoo's lead Sea Otter keeper, had to think of a way to help Eddie to flex his elbows... basketball seemed a natural choice.
"Eddie almost never misses," DeGroot says in the video, "And if [he] does, he keeps going until he makes it. Sea Otters have incredible dexterity, so it makes sense Eddie would have this hidden talent. They're famous for using rocks as tools to crack open clams."
The average life span of the southern Sea Otter is between 10 and 11 years; the oldest on record lived to the ripe old age of 23, which helps explain Eddie's arthritis.
The video is about two minutes long; impatient viewers note... Eddie's dunking starts at the one-minute mark.
[Video: YouTube/Oregon Zoo]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight