Zola Tips England Starlet to Replace Lampard at Chelsea
By Nick Howson | February 22, 2013 10:53 PM EST
Watford manager Gianfranco Zola is tipping on loan midfielder Nathaniel Chalobah to eventually replace Frank Lampard at Chelsea.
Chalobah is currently in the midst of a second successive six-month loan spell at Vicarage Road, helping The Hornets go within three points of the automatic promotion places.
The England Under-21 midfielder's contribution in the middle of midfield has been intrinsic to the success of Watford's eclectic squad, and Zola, a former legend at Stamford Bridge, believes upon the 18 year old's return to west London Chalobah possesses the capacity to replace the outgoing Frank Lampard.
"Nathaniel could be the player that replaces Frank so therefore I try to give him everything I can to become a better player," Zola said.
"Frank is more like an offensive midfielder; he gets on the ball and scores important goals.
"Nathaniel can be very offensive obviously, but has the structure more of a holding midfielder who organises the play from the back.
"He can certainly play in the position that Frank plays but his best position is in front of the defence."
Lampard looks set to leave Chelsea at the end of the season having yet to agree a new contract with the club.
Chelsea's reluctance to offer players in their 30s long-term extensions means Lampard is unlikely to be handed anything more than a one-year deal, which unlike full-back Ashley Cole, the 34 year old is expected to reject.
Didier Drogba was allowed to leave Chelsea last summer despite scoring the winning penalty in the Champions League final against Bayern Munich, after failing to agree a contract extension; an example of the club's ruthless stance.
"I can try to understand, I don't think it's down to the value that the player has got that's for sure," Zola added.
"I believe it's more like that because Chelsea's doesn't want to renew that they want to change and do something different, that's the only explanation that I can give to myself.
"It's a pity players like Frank and John Terry you like to keep them young forever and play at Chelsea forever. It will be difficult obviously but at the end of the day it might be a good thing for Frank to change it he wants to change."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Fernando Alonso Describes Michael Schumacher as the Strongest Opponent He Has Faced in F1
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Serena Williams and Rumoured Boyfriend Patrick Mouratoglou Spotted on a Date in NYC
- UFC President Dana White Says He is Very Excited for Anderson Silva’s Comeback in January
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Claims that Fabregas will Play Best Football Under Him
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features