Patients Beware: Medical Groups Release Latest List Of Procedures That Could Be Useless, If Not Harmful
By Angelo Young | February 22, 2013 10:00 PM EST
Is your cardiac specialist eager to feed your hypochondria by rushing you in for heart-stress testing at the slightest indication of discomfort? Does the oncologist screening your pop for low-risk prostate cancer a little too eager to perform a radionuclide bone scan? Does your family physician hand out antibiotics like Tic-Tacs to anyone with the sniffles?
These are just three of 90 medical procedures identified by a cluster of medical societies representing over 500,000 U.S. health care professionals as being potentially superfluous, or even harmful.
The updated list, released Thursday by the American Board of Internal Medicine as part of its Choosing Widely campaign with Consumer Reports to promote better dialogue between physician and patient in order to help those seeking treatment ask better questions of those administering it.
Seventeen medical groups representing a broad spectrum of specialties participated in putting together the list of commonly overprescribed tests, procedures and prescriptions.
Another list will be issued later this year with feedback from seve3ral other medical groups.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28