Patients Beware: Medical Groups Release Latest List Of Procedures That Could Be Useless, If Not Harmful
By Angelo Young | February 22, 2013 10:00 PM EST
Is your cardiac specialist eager to feed your hypochondria by rushing you in for heart-stress testing at the slightest indication of discomfort? Does the oncologist screening your pop for low-risk prostate cancer a little too eager to perform a radionuclide bone scan? Does your family physician hand out antibiotics like Tic-Tacs to anyone with the sniffles?
These are just three of 90 medical procedures identified by a cluster of medical societies representing over 500,000 U.S. health care professionals as being potentially superfluous, or even harmful.
The updated list, released Thursday by the American Board of Internal Medicine as part of its Choosing Widely campaign with Consumer Reports to promote better dialogue between physician and patient in order to help those seeking treatment ask better questions of those administering it.
Seventeen medical groups representing a broad spectrum of specialties participated in putting together the list of commonly overprescribed tests, procedures and prescriptions.
Another list will be issued later this year with feedback from seve3ral other medical groups.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 Release Down Under – Meet The First People To Have The Newest iPhones
- Masayoshi Son Is Japan’s Richest Man As Softbank Shares Surge Ahead Of Alibaba IPO; More Millionaires Among Alibaba Employees On The Way
- Ex-Male Strippers For Rent At $125/Hour To Act As ManServants
- Alibaba Hikes IPO Price Range To $66-$68 From $60-$66
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best