Patients Beware: Medical Groups Release Latest List Of Procedures That Could Be Useless, If Not Harmful
By Angelo Young | February 22, 2013 10:00 PM EST
Is your cardiac specialist eager to feed your hypochondria by rushing you in for heart-stress testing at the slightest indication of discomfort? Does the oncologist screening your pop for low-risk prostate cancer a little too eager to perform a radionuclide bone scan? Does your family physician hand out antibiotics like Tic-Tacs to anyone with the sniffles?
These are just three of 90 medical procedures identified by a cluster of medical societies representing over 500,000 U.S. health care professionals as being potentially superfluous, or even harmful.
The updated list, released Thursday by the American Board of Internal Medicine as part of its Choosing Widely campaign with Consumer Reports to promote better dialogue between physician and patient in order to help those seeking treatment ask better questions of those administering it.
Seventeen medical groups representing a broad spectrum of specialties participated in putting together the list of commonly overprescribed tests, procedures and prescriptions.
Another list will be issued later this year with feedback from seve3ral other medical groups.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Texas Man Selling Condo With ‘Funniest and Most Revealing Ad’
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Tweens Fool Their Parents Online, McAfee Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report