Renault-Nissan Plans $320 Million Investment in Chennai Plant for Low-Cost Car Production: report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 22, 2013 9:19 PM EST
In what seems to be a move to tap potential sales in India's low-priced car segment, Franco-Japanese automaker Renault-Nissan is reportedly looking to make an investment of $320 million in its second plant in the country.
According to Nikkei, a Japanese business daily, the second plant will be set up in Southern Chennai by the end of 2014 with an investment of 30 billion yen for the manufacturing of low-cost vehicles as well as Datsun cars.
It was also said that Nissan's upcoming manufacturing facility is likely to bring out two new models to India. The company has a production capacity of 400,000 units per year in the country, and the new venture will take it to 600,000 units, said the report.
The new models which are going to be manufactured in the Chennai facility is expected to be priced less than 500,000 yen.
Nissan declined to comment on the report, but maintained that it has plans to launch less expensive vehicles in the coming years. "We have a project to produce low-priced vehicles in our existing Renault-Nissan joint plant, but we cannot comment on the report further," said a company spokesman, AFP reported.
The company had earlier said that it was planning to restart the Datsun brand to meet the demands for cheaper cars in emerging markets.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- Radio Australia Cuts to Affect Isolated Vanuatu Residents Who Rely on It for Weather Bulletins
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown