Renault-Nissan Plans $320 Million Investment in Chennai Plant for Low-Cost Car Production: report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 22, 2013 9:19 PM EST
In what seems to be a move to tap potential sales in India's low-priced car segment, Franco-Japanese automaker Renault-Nissan is reportedly looking to make an investment of $320 million in its second plant in the country.
According to Nikkei, a Japanese business daily, the second plant will be set up in Southern Chennai by the end of 2014 with an investment of 30 billion yen for the manufacturing of low-cost vehicles as well as Datsun cars.
It was also said that Nissan's upcoming manufacturing facility is likely to bring out two new models to India. The company has a production capacity of 400,000 units per year in the country, and the new venture will take it to 600,000 units, said the report.
The new models which are going to be manufactured in the Chennai facility is expected to be priced less than 500,000 yen.
Nissan declined to comment on the report, but maintained that it has plans to launch less expensive vehicles in the coming years. "We have a project to produce low-priced vehicles in our existing Renault-Nissan joint plant, but we cannot comment on the report further," said a company spokesman, AFP reported.
The company had earlier said that it was planning to restart the Datsun brand to meet the demands for cheaper cars in emerging markets.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28