Renault-Nissan Plans $320 Million Investment in Chennai Plant for Low-Cost Car Production: report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 22, 2013 9:19 PM EST
In what seems to be a move to tap potential sales in India's low-priced car segment, Franco-Japanese automaker Renault-Nissan is reportedly looking to make an investment of $320 million in its second plant in the country.
According to Nikkei, a Japanese business daily, the second plant will be set up in Southern Chennai by the end of 2014 with an investment of 30 billion yen for the manufacturing of low-cost vehicles as well as Datsun cars.
It was also said that Nissan's upcoming manufacturing facility is likely to bring out two new models to India. The company has a production capacity of 400,000 units per year in the country, and the new venture will take it to 600,000 units, said the report.
The new models which are going to be manufactured in the Chennai facility is expected to be priced less than 500,000 yen.
Nissan declined to comment on the report, but maintained that it has plans to launch less expensive vehicles in the coming years. "We have a project to produce low-priced vehicles in our existing Renault-Nissan joint plant, but we cannot comment on the report further," said a company spokesman, AFP reported.
The company had earlier said that it was planning to restart the Datsun brand to meet the demands for cheaper cars in emerging markets.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools