Renault-Nissan Plans $320 Million Investment in Chennai Plant for Low-Cost Car Production: report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 22, 2013 9:19 PM EST
In what seems to be a move to tap potential sales in India's low-priced car segment, Franco-Japanese automaker Renault-Nissan is reportedly looking to make an investment of $320 million in its second plant in the country.
According to Nikkei, a Japanese business daily, the second plant will be set up in Southern Chennai by the end of 2014 with an investment of 30 billion yen for the manufacturing of low-cost vehicles as well as Datsun cars.
It was also said that Nissan's upcoming manufacturing facility is likely to bring out two new models to India. The company has a production capacity of 400,000 units per year in the country, and the new venture will take it to 600,000 units, said the report.
The new models which are going to be manufactured in the Chennai facility is expected to be priced less than 500,000 yen.
Nissan declined to comment on the report, but maintained that it has plans to launch less expensive vehicles in the coming years. "We have a project to produce low-priced vehicles in our existing Renault-Nissan joint plant, but we cannot comment on the report further," said a company spokesman, AFP reported.
The company had earlier said that it was planning to restart the Datsun brand to meet the demands for cheaper cars in emerging markets.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed