Ex-Chelsea Star Claims Benitez Will Give Way to Mourinho
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 22, 2013 8:52 PM EST
Former Chelsea midfielder Ruud Gullit claims Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho is set for a sensational summer return to Stamford Bridge. The Portuguese manager was at Stamford Bridge between 2004 and 2007 and won two Premier League titles and an FA Cup in that time.
The Blues are presently headed by ex-Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez, who was hired after owner Roman Abramovich sacked Champions League-winning Roberto Di Matteo in November. Gullit, who also coached the west London club briefly, believes Benitez is a stop-gap arrangement, to ensure the club remains in the Champions League for next season.
"Rafa Benitez's main objective this season is to qualify for the Champions League and then to make way for Jose Mourinho. I have a gut feeling that Mourinho will come back to Chelsea," Gullit explained.
"I have a feeling that he was meant to come back after the Champions League final but then when Chelsea won it I think he thought better of it. It's no coincidence that right after the final he signed a new contract with Real Madrid," the 50-year-old told talkSPORT.
Mourinho's time at the Santiago Bernabeu seems to be coming to a controversial and bitter end. The defending champions are hopelessly off the pace in La Liga and have all but conceded the tile to arch-rivals Manchester United. They remain in contention for the Copa Del Rey and the Champions League but face tough second legs in both competitions, at Barcelona and Old Trafford respectively.
The ex-Inter Milan boss has often spoken of his desire to return to the Premier League and was strongly linked with a move to United in the summer, when, it was presumed, Sir Alex Ferguson would finally retire. However, despite the rumours, Ferguson appears in no mood to relinquish control and Abramovich is keen to bring Mourinho back, having lost prime candidate Pep Guardiola to Bayern Munich.
Hazard the Hero
Meanwhile, the Blues' Europa League adventures are set to continue. Chelsea beat Czech side Sparta Prague 2-1 on aggregate, after a late Eden Hazard strike secured a 1-1 draw at the Bridge. The club now faces Romanian side FC Steaua Bucureşti.
Gullit emphasised the importance of winning the Europa League and said the club ran the risk of even greater ridicule if they do not take this competition seriously.
"They shouldn't underestimate the Europa League. It's still a trophy. The competition isn't as important as they're used to, because they have been in the Champions League, but you cannot afford to take these games lightly. It's a European competition. For the club and players it's something to achieve," the ex-Dutch international said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 US Open: Down Goes Maria Sharapova, BF Grigor Dimitrov Advances
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers