Ferguson Gives Update on Winger's Future at Old Trafford
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 22, 2013 8:38 PM EST
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson believes Luis Nani still has a future at Old Trafford. The 26-year-old came on as a substitute to deliver a match-winning performance against Reading earlier this week, in a FA Cup tie. The Portuguese international scored the first goal and set up the second, for Javier Hernandez. However, Ferguson was clear that Nani's contract demands and those of a guaranteed first team place may not be met and the player will have to work out a compromise.
"Definitely we want to keep him. He's one of the best match-winners in the game and I'm including the whole of Europe. He wants guaranteed first-team football but he can guarantee that, his performance the other night can guarantee that. We're trying our best because he's... capable of scoring the most incredible goals," Ferguson explained.
Nani's contract expires in 2014 and there have been talks over an extension. However, those stalled after disagreements over a deal believed to be worth £130,000 per week.
As a result of unresolved contract issues, the former Sporting Lisbon was heavily linked with a move to Zenit St Petersburg and the Russians were allowed to discuss personal terms with the player. However, a report by ESPN quoted Zenit's director-general as stating he pulled the plug on the transfer because Nani asked for "an enormous salary".
And if the concerned parties are unable to agree a deal, Ferguson may look to sell Nani in the summer. The Scot does have a few options - Ecuadorian Antonio Valencia and England international Ashley Young are already available and Crystal Palace youngster Wilfried Zaha will join in the summer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Novak Djokovic Stars In A New Commercial For Gerble Sans Gluten et Sans Souci
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet