Ferguson Gives Update on Winger's Future at Old Trafford
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 22, 2013 8:38 PM EST
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson believes Luis Nani still has a future at Old Trafford. The 26-year-old came on as a substitute to deliver a match-winning performance against Reading earlier this week, in a FA Cup tie. The Portuguese international scored the first goal and set up the second, for Javier Hernandez. However, Ferguson was clear that Nani's contract demands and those of a guaranteed first team place may not be met and the player will have to work out a compromise.
"Definitely we want to keep him. He's one of the best match-winners in the game and I'm including the whole of Europe. He wants guaranteed first-team football but he can guarantee that, his performance the other night can guarantee that. We're trying our best because he's... capable of scoring the most incredible goals," Ferguson explained.
Nani's contract expires in 2014 and there have been talks over an extension. However, those stalled after disagreements over a deal believed to be worth £130,000 per week.
As a result of unresolved contract issues, the former Sporting Lisbon was heavily linked with a move to Zenit St Petersburg and the Russians were allowed to discuss personal terms with the player. However, a report by ESPN quoted Zenit's director-general as stating he pulled the plug on the transfer because Nani asked for "an enormous salary".
And if the concerned parties are unable to agree a deal, Ferguson may look to sell Nani in the summer. The Scot does have a few options - Ecuadorian Antonio Valencia and England international Ashley Young are already available and Crystal Palace youngster Wilfried Zaha will join in the summer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date