Ferguson Gives Update on Winger's Future at Old Trafford
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 22, 2013 8:38 PM EST
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson believes Luis Nani still has a future at Old Trafford. The 26-year-old came on as a substitute to deliver a match-winning performance against Reading earlier this week, in a FA Cup tie. The Portuguese international scored the first goal and set up the second, for Javier Hernandez. However, Ferguson was clear that Nani's contract demands and those of a guaranteed first team place may not be met and the player will have to work out a compromise.
"Definitely we want to keep him. He's one of the best match-winners in the game and I'm including the whole of Europe. He wants guaranteed first-team football but he can guarantee that, his performance the other night can guarantee that. We're trying our best because he's... capable of scoring the most incredible goals," Ferguson explained.
Nani's contract expires in 2014 and there have been talks over an extension. However, those stalled after disagreements over a deal believed to be worth £130,000 per week.
As a result of unresolved contract issues, the former Sporting Lisbon was heavily linked with a move to Zenit St Petersburg and the Russians were allowed to discuss personal terms with the player. However, a report by ESPN quoted Zenit's director-general as stating he pulled the plug on the transfer because Nani asked for "an enormous salary".
And if the concerned parties are unable to agree a deal, Ferguson may look to sell Nani in the summer. The Scot does have a few options - Ecuadorian Antonio Valencia and England international Ashley Young are already available and Crystal Palace youngster Wilfried Zaha will join in the summer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Manchester United Owners Set To Sell Club In £3B Deal After Acquiring Cristiano Ronaldo, Report Says
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- Ukraine Under Pressure To Accept EU Brokered Gas Deal With Russia: Resists High Prices Demanded By Russia