Ferguson Gives Update on Winger's Future at Old Trafford
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 22, 2013 8:38 PM EST
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson believes Luis Nani still has a future at Old Trafford. The 26-year-old came on as a substitute to deliver a match-winning performance against Reading earlier this week, in a FA Cup tie. The Portuguese international scored the first goal and set up the second, for Javier Hernandez. However, Ferguson was clear that Nani's contract demands and those of a guaranteed first team place may not be met and the player will have to work out a compromise.
"Definitely we want to keep him. He's one of the best match-winners in the game and I'm including the whole of Europe. He wants guaranteed first-team football but he can guarantee that, his performance the other night can guarantee that. We're trying our best because he's... capable of scoring the most incredible goals," Ferguson explained.
Nani's contract expires in 2014 and there have been talks over an extension. However, those stalled after disagreements over a deal believed to be worth £130,000 per week.
As a result of unresolved contract issues, the former Sporting Lisbon was heavily linked with a move to Zenit St Petersburg and the Russians were allowed to discuss personal terms with the player. However, a report by ESPN quoted Zenit's director-general as stating he pulled the plug on the transfer because Nani asked for "an enormous salary".
And if the concerned parties are unable to agree a deal, Ferguson may look to sell Nani in the summer. The Scot does have a few options - Ecuadorian Antonio Valencia and England international Ashley Young are already available and Crystal Palace youngster Wilfried Zaha will join in the summer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop