Ferguson Gives Update on Winger's Future at Old Trafford
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 22, 2013 8:38 PM EST
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson believes Luis Nani still has a future at Old Trafford. The 26-year-old came on as a substitute to deliver a match-winning performance against Reading earlier this week, in a FA Cup tie. The Portuguese international scored the first goal and set up the second, for Javier Hernandez. However, Ferguson was clear that Nani's contract demands and those of a guaranteed first team place may not be met and the player will have to work out a compromise.
"Definitely we want to keep him. He's one of the best match-winners in the game and I'm including the whole of Europe. He wants guaranteed first-team football but he can guarantee that, his performance the other night can guarantee that. We're trying our best because he's... capable of scoring the most incredible goals," Ferguson explained.
Nani's contract expires in 2014 and there have been talks over an extension. However, those stalled after disagreements over a deal believed to be worth £130,000 per week.
As a result of unresolved contract issues, the former Sporting Lisbon was heavily linked with a move to Zenit St Petersburg and the Russians were allowed to discuss personal terms with the player. However, a report by ESPN quoted Zenit's director-general as stating he pulled the plug on the transfer because Nani asked for "an enormous salary".
And if the concerned parties are unable to agree a deal, Ferguson may look to sell Nani in the summer. The Scot does have a few options - Ecuadorian Antonio Valencia and England international Ashley Young are already available and Crystal Palace youngster Wilfried Zaha will join in the summer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- 2014 NFL Thanksgiving Games Results: Detroit Lions, Philadelphia Eagles, Seattle Seahawks Notch All-Important Wins With Major Postseason Implications
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report