Blink 182 Drummer Travis Barker Accused of Extorting £1.1m
By Hannah Osborne | February 22, 2013 8:07 PM EST
Blink 182 drummer Travis Barker was accused of extortion by a music promoter in Australia in a misunderstanding over performance fees.
Barker said that he could not play at the Soundwave Festival in Melbourne because of his fear of flying.
In 2008, the 37-year-old was hurt when an aircraft he had boarded en route to California crashed on takeoff and veered into an embankment. Four people died and Barker spent 11 weeks in hospitals and burn centres for his injuries.
He said that because of the accident, he could not fly from the US to Australia to perform in the festival.
Apologising to his Australian fans on Facebook, Barker said: "I'm sorry to announce I won't be joining Blink 182 on this Australian tour. I still haven't gotten over the horrific events that took place the last time I flew when my plane crashed and four people were killed, two being my best friends.
"I gave the band my blessing to take another drummer if they still wanted to do the tour without me. I hope to come to Australia again someday - perhaps by ship if need be."
However, festival promoter AJ Maddah said Barker was still demanding a third of the band's $5m (£3.3m) fee and accused him of extortion.
Bandmates Mark Hoppus and Tom De Longe will play the festival with a fill-in drummer and when the promoter was asked by festival-goers about refunds, he launched an attack on the musician.
He thinks he's a gangster
Maddah said on Twitter: "I'm told we can't refund and there will be no discount on the $5m fee because @travisbarker insisted on being paid in full.
"What he has done to Tom and [Mark] is extortion. He thinks he's a f*****g gangster.
"I don't blame him for not flying, but demanding one-and-a-half million dollars from your bandmates to allow them to play is low."
Barker responded: "Where u getting your information from, man? None of this you're writing on your timeline is true. This is all b******t.
"Stop talking s**t. Your spreading lies/stories & disrespecting me. You're not speaking to my management, your just fabricating s**t."
Maddah wrote back: "I have been super nice and supportive up to this point, but that stops now!
"Really dude? You didn't insist on being paid 1/3 even though you're not coming?"
Maddah eventually backtracked, blaming misinofmration for the row.
"We had both been fed a bunch of horses**t by other people," he claimed.
"He is a really good guy. It was a flare-up orchestrated by other people."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- The Bachelor Update: Find Out if Juan Pablo and Nikki Ferrell Are Still With Each Other
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Rob Kardashian's Ex-Girlfriend Adrienne Bailon FInally Removes Cheating Reality Star's Name from Her Butt
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers