Dead Bird in a Salad, the Latest in Tesco Blunders
By Gilda Galang | February 22, 2013 4:48 PM EST
Tesco was greeted with a scandal earlier this month due to the finding of a human tooth inside one of its premium sausages. Now, just two weeks after the incident, it's facing another complaint, this time for the carcass of a dead bird found in its Babyleaf Rocket Salad.
According to Daily Mail, a couple from Gloucestershire found a five-inch bird, which has, since then, been identified to be a Blackcap European warbler.
James Watson and his wife Jasmine were just about to tuck in their candle-lit dinner of steaks, salad, and fries, when they found out that there was an extra, unwanted ingredient in their meal, reports Mirror.
The salad packet was reportedly purchased from Tesco's website three weeks ago last January 30, reports Daily Mail.
The supermarket has apologized for the incident, and has offered a £200 gift card as compensation, which has been responded to negatively by the couple.
"We have been in contact with our customer to reassure them how seriously we have taken this matter, and offered them a gesture of goodwill," said a Tesco spokesman to Daily Mail.
This is not the first time that a dead bird had been found in the same packet of Tesco salad. In November 2011, Paul Streeter from Somerset found, which they had purchased at a Burnham-on-Sea branch, reports BBC.
Unlike with the Watsons' case, where the bird still had some of its feathers, the one Somerset had found was already decomposed to the point of exposing the skeletal frame.
"I didn't know what to think. I was concerned about the health of my family as they had eaten some of the salad," said Streeter to BBC.
Also this month, Tesco was included in the horsemeat scandal as its Everyday Value Spaghetti Bolognese was found to contain up to 60% horsemeat.
So far, Tesco has launched investigations to deal with these matters.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Sydney Software Firm Bigcommerce Teams Up With Alibaba To Beat Amazon
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28