Dead Bird in a Salad, the Latest in Tesco Blunders
By Gilda Galang | February 22, 2013 4:48 PM EST
Tesco was greeted with a scandal earlier this month due to the finding of a human tooth inside one of its premium sausages. Now, just two weeks after the incident, it's facing another complaint, this time for the carcass of a dead bird found in its Babyleaf Rocket Salad.
According to Daily Mail, a couple from Gloucestershire found a five-inch bird, which has, since then, been identified to be a Blackcap European warbler.
James Watson and his wife Jasmine were just about to tuck in their candle-lit dinner of steaks, salad, and fries, when they found out that there was an extra, unwanted ingredient in their meal, reports Mirror.
The salad packet was reportedly purchased from Tesco's website three weeks ago last January 30, reports Daily Mail.
The supermarket has apologized for the incident, and has offered a £200 gift card as compensation, which has been responded to negatively by the couple.
"We have been in contact with our customer to reassure them how seriously we have taken this matter, and offered them a gesture of goodwill," said a Tesco spokesman to Daily Mail.
This is not the first time that a dead bird had been found in the same packet of Tesco salad. In November 2011, Paul Streeter from Somerset found, which they had purchased at a Burnham-on-Sea branch, reports BBC.
Unlike with the Watsons' case, where the bird still had some of its feathers, the one Somerset had found was already decomposed to the point of exposing the skeletal frame.
"I didn't know what to think. I was concerned about the health of my family as they had eaten some of the salad," said Streeter to BBC.
Also this month, Tesco was included in the horsemeat scandal as its Everyday Value Spaghetti Bolognese was found to contain up to 60% horsemeat.
So far, Tesco has launched investigations to deal with these matters.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Texas Man Selling Condo With ‘Funniest and Most Revealing Ad’
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- MH17: Shrapnel Hits Plane, Russia Calls for UN-led Investigation