India Plans $880 Million of Share Sales in March
February 22, 2013 3:54 PM EST
India plans to raise about $880 million next month cutting its stakes in two state companies, sources with direct knowledge of the matter said, a move that will help the government tackle the budget deficit.
Asset sales are a key part of the government's plan to cut the deficit to 5.3 percent of gross domestic product for the fiscal year to end-March, from 5.8 percent in 2011/12, to avoid a credit downgrade.
The government was expected to sell a 10.82 percent stake in steelmaker Steel Authority of India Ltd (SAIL.NS) via a share auction in the third week of March, three sources with direct knowledge told Reuters on Thursday.
The SAIL stake is worth about $620 million at current prices and its sale would leave the government with a 75 percent stake.
The government also plans to sell a 12.15 percent stake worth about $260 million in National Aluminium Co Ltd (Nalco) (NALU.NS) early next month, two other sources said.
All the sources declined to be named because they are not authorised to speak to the media before a public announcement.
Neither Nalco nor SAIL was available to comment.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- West Africa Ebola Epidemic To Last 12-18 Months More
- Ebola Update: Death Toll Reaches 2,461; US$1B Is Needed To Fight It, Says UN
- BC Teachers’ Strike Reaches Tentative Deal With Government, Date of Class Resumptions Still Not Sure
- Security for Pope Francis' Albania Trip At Status Quo, Won’t Be Reinforced Despite ISIS Threat – Vatican
- Air France Pilots’ Strike: Only 40% of Scheduled Wednesday Flights Will Operate
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet