India Plans $880 Million of Share Sales in March
February 22, 2013 3:54 PM EST
India plans to raise about $880 million next month cutting its stakes in two state companies, sources with direct knowledge of the matter said, a move that will help the government tackle the budget deficit.
Asset sales are a key part of the government's plan to cut the deficit to 5.3 percent of gross domestic product for the fiscal year to end-March, from 5.8 percent in 2011/12, to avoid a credit downgrade.
The government was expected to sell a 10.82 percent stake in steelmaker Steel Authority of India Ltd (SAIL.NS) via a share auction in the third week of March, three sources with direct knowledge told Reuters on Thursday.
The SAIL stake is worth about $620 million at current prices and its sale would leave the government with a 75 percent stake.
The government also plans to sell a 12.15 percent stake worth about $260 million in National Aluminium Co Ltd (Nalco) (NALU.NS) early next month, two other sources said.
All the sources declined to be named because they are not authorised to speak to the media before a public announcement.
Neither Nalco nor SAIL was available to comment.
Join the Conversation
- Canada Jetlines Files For C$50 Million Airline IPO
- Plane Freezes in Russian Arctic, Passengers Push (WATCH VIDEO)
- With Falling Oil Prices All Eyes On OPEC Meeting
- New Zealand's Job Expo In Sydney To Showcase 2,000 Wellington Jobs
- This Is How Obesity Weighs Down Global Economy By 2 Trillion Dollars Every Year
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys