India Plans $880 Million of Share Sales in March
February 22, 2013 3:54 PM EST
India plans to raise about $880 million next month cutting its stakes in two state companies, sources with direct knowledge of the matter said, a move that will help the government tackle the budget deficit.
Asset sales are a key part of the government's plan to cut the deficit to 5.3 percent of gross domestic product for the fiscal year to end-March, from 5.8 percent in 2011/12, to avoid a credit downgrade.
The government was expected to sell a 10.82 percent stake in steelmaker Steel Authority of India Ltd (SAIL.NS) via a share auction in the third week of March, three sources with direct knowledge told Reuters on Thursday.
The SAIL stake is worth about $620 million at current prices and its sale would leave the government with a 75 percent stake.
The government also plans to sell a 12.15 percent stake worth about $260 million in National Aluminium Co Ltd (Nalco) (NALU.NS) early next month, two other sources said.
All the sources declined to be named because they are not authorised to speak to the media before a public announcement.
Neither Nalco nor SAIL was available to comment.
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- United Airlines Flight Diverted as Passengers Fought Over Anti-Seat Reclining Device
- ISIS Posts Threats On Twitter, Works Around California Earthquake Hashtags, Pressures US To Respond To #StevensHeadinObamasHands
- Iceland Volcano: Bardarbunga Stricken by 5.7 Magnitude Earthquake But Still No Eruption, Magma Could be Going Elsewhere
- Canadian Bank Thanks Its Customers Through Surprise Gifts In ATM [VIDEO]
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Two Weeks to Go Starting at $800 with New Phosphorus HealthKit Chip
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Bill Shorten Calls Tony Abbott 'Ineligible' To Lead Australia; Government Party-Room Leaks On Abbott'sTravel Entitlements