India Aims for Mars Mission in 2013, Ahead of Dennis Tito’s January 2018 501-Day Red Planet Trip
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 22, 2013 1:56 PM EST
Now, the list is getting longer to include Indians, tourists, miners and even a porn star who goes by the name of Coco Brown.
Reuters reported on Thursday that India is set to launch its first Mars mission in 2013. Indian President Pranab Mukherjee announced the Asian country's cosmic ambitions in a bid to catch up with other space giants such as the U.S., Russia and China.
In preparation for the Mars sojourn, India will send a satellite in October through an unmanned spacecraft to orbit the red plant. The programme costs the Asian nation $83 million.
The made-in-India spacecraft will take nine months to reach Mars and then will launch itself in an elliptical orbit about 500 kilometres from the red planet.
Despite the widespread poverty in India, a nation with more than 1 billion residents, India started its space exploration programme way back in 1962. Five years ago, India's Chandrayaan satellite discovered evidence of water on the moon, and by 2014, India plans to land a wheeled rover on the moon.
The ambitious Mars project, however, has been met criticisms, but the government insisted its space programme has practical applications to daily Indian life.
If India's plans would push through, it would be ahead of another lofty plan announced on Thursday by the Inspiration Mars Foundation, which aims to make a historic trip to Mars and back in 501 days.
The foundation was formed by millionaire Dennis Tito, the first space tourist, who paid $20 million to reach space via a Russian rocket in 2011. His planned Mars journey is still in 2018.
However, the 72-year-old millionaire will give a talk on Feb 28 about the celestial journey at the IEEE Aerospace Conference where the foundation will present its Mars mission in detail.
The Mars trip would use a modified version of SpaceX's Dragon capsule.
But the trip to Mars won't be as regular as daily train runs since timing is critical, dependent on the orbits of the Earth and Mars. After the 2018 mission, the next Mars trip would only be available on 2031 based on the orbits of the two planets.
The popularity of space journeys could be gauged by this YouTube video which has logged more than 15 million hits.
The space ventures, which includes plans by miners to search for rare minerals in outer space, would certainly present many clever but naughty and humorous scenarios for cartoonists and meme makers to play with.
The scenarios would include Australian mining magnate Gina Rinehart scouring Venus for coal and iron ore and sari-garbed Indian astronauts popping spicy capsules for their meals. But definitely, Coco Brown would not be making porn films while in outer space since that area has different laws of gravity that the triple X-rated film actress is typically used to.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting in Australia: A Mysterious 'Flying' Object With Changing Colors Observed[Watch Video]
- Artificial Micro-Humans to Replace Animals in Lab Tests: 90 Million Animal Lives Would be Saved
- Images Of Solar Flare Captured By NASA [Watch Video]
- Volatile Volcanoes Are Waking Up
- Danish Authorities Are Being Complicit In Brutal Slaughtering Of Pilot Whales: Charlie Sheen; An Australian Arrested
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display