February 22, 2013 1:09 PM EST
NFL Giant's Star Engaged to Miss Universe: Get Know Future Mrs. Umenyiora [PHOTOS]
It's definitely good to be Osi Umenyiora if you get to marry a Miss Universe title holder.
A year ago, the New York Giants defensive was celebrating his second ring. It was also around that time when he was introduced to Leila Lopes, Miss Universe 2011, at the New York Fashion Week. After their meeting, the two went on dates and eventually got together as a couple. A year after, Umenyiora wants to seal the deal by popping the question to the former Miss Universe.
According to early reports, the two are planning their wedding some time in 2014 after Osi proposed to his lady while they're in Europe. Using his Twitter account, Umenyiora referred to Leila as his "fiancée."
The 26-year-old beauty queen is originally from Angola while the 30-year-old athlete is from London. The NFL star has cemented his name in the sport that he is part of but only little is known about his future bride apart from the fact that she won Miss Universe in 2011. That being said, let's read up more details about her.
- She is considered an expat. Though she was born in Angola, she pursued her studies in Great Britain. Leila also won the crown of Miss Angola UK from her adoptive home.
- She keeps three simple steps as beauty regimen. Sleep, sunblock and water. Lopes said that she has never had any kind of cosmetic surgery to enhance her beauty.
- She is a linguist. During the pageant, she spoke to the judges in Portuguese which is also the official language of Sao Paulo, Brazil.
- She is a humanitarian and a social worker. She actively involves herself in raising awareness about HIV/AIDS.
- She is the first Angolan woman to win Miss Universe and is the fourth African woman to have the elusive title.