Why Did Pope Benedict XVI Resign? Newspaper Reveals Possible Secret Sex Report As Reason
By Charles Poladian | February 22, 2013 11:57 AM EST
Pope Benedict XVI has attributed his shocking and unprecedented resignation to age and poor health, but another reason, according to the Italian newspaper La Repubblica, is a secret report that details Vatican sex and fraud scandals.
La Repubblica says there is a secret report that reveals sex scandals within the Vatican. The report was in response to Vatileaks revelations, and Pope Benedict XVI was given the 300-page document by three cardinals on Dec. 17, reports The Guardian.
The details in this secret document helped push the pope to resign, reports La Repubblica. The report is said to reveal sexual politics inside the Vatican and groups of prelates, high-ranking clergy members, divided by their sexual orientation, reports The Guardian. The report also asserted that a group of gay prelates was being blackmailed.
The report also revealed meeting places of gay priests for their sexual encounters, reports La Repubblica, including “A villa outside Rome, a sauna in Quarto Miglio,” as well as a university residence, a beauty parlor and rooms inside the Vatican itself. The report also named names, including Monsignor Tommaso Stenico, who was suspended following an Italian television program that attempted to out gay priests.
The report also discussed actions that went against the Sixth and Seventh Commandments, “Thou shalt not commit adultery” and “Thou shalt not steal” respectively, reports Discovery News. It is believed the reference to the seventh amendment is in regards to the Institute for Works of Religion, better known as the Vatican Bank, which is facing its own scandal surrounding possible fraud and money laundering, reports Discovery News.
According to The Guardian, the three cardinals tasked with the report were Salvatore De Giorgi, Jozef Tomko and Julián Herranz. Pope Benedict XVI’s statements after his resignation have included references to the inner workings of the Vatican and at his final public Mass he described the face of the Vatican as “disfigured,” notes The New York Times.
Vatican spokesman Father Federico Lombardi said, “Neither the cardinals' commission nor I will make comments to confirm or deny the things that are said about this matter. Let each one assume his or her own responsibilities. We shall not be following up on the observations that are made about this.”
According to La Reubblica, Pope Benedict XVI will discuss the report with the three cardinals on the last day of his papacy -- next Thursday -- and the report will also be given to the next pope.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet