Facebook Forces 104-Year-Old Michigan Granny to Lie About Age
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 22, 2013 11:11 AM EST
It was actually Marguerite Joseph's granddaughter, Gail Marlow, who opened an account for her grandma. While inputting the birth year of 1908, Facebook kept changing it to 1928. The situation means that Ms Joseph would remain an 85 for the rest of her years on FB, at least insofar as her online friends are concerned.
Actually, the centenarian could not read since she is legally blind, but Ms Marlow reads and responds to all her FB messages.
In her latest status post, Ms Joseph wrote: "I was actually born on April 19, 1908 . . . but Facebook wouldn't let me enter in a date that goes back that far. I am a native of Coniston, Ontario and was married to John Joseph Sr. who passed away in 2000. I have 5 Children-Shirley Marlow, John Jr., Roger, Francis and Peter, who died of leukemia. I have 12 Grandchildren and several Great Grandchildren. I am a wealth of knowledge and history and love to tell my stories."
She invited her FB friends to read the article on the incident and her 100th birthday celebration at http://www.grossepointenews.com/Articles-i-2008-04-17-217475.112112-Centenarian-artfully-lights-up-the-room.html
Facebook has apologised for the technical glitch and promised to fix it.
"We recently discovered an issue whereby some Facebook users may be unable to enter a birthday before 1910. We are working on a fix for this and we apologize for this inconvenience," Mail Online quoted a Facebook statement.
However, FB is still maintaining its policy of a minimum age of 13 for those signing up, which means many pre-teens would continue lying about their real birth years to become a part of the most popular social networking site.
Seniors on FB are growing in number. This writer was pleasantly surprised to discover Benny Hernandez, his 88-year-old uncle who lives in Elgin, Illinois has a Facebook account, and he not only reads and replies to messages personally, but also posts pictures, plays online games, watches Philippine TV shows via livestreaming and even downloads music on his iPod!
The growing number of seniors who don't want to be left behind with the times was what probably inspired a Philippine telco provider to cast an elder lady to be the model for their broadband commercial.
The advertising campaign was quite successful that it became a series that also comments on realities that while seniors may have the mental and physical abilities to cope with information technology, being retired, they may not have the financial capacity to buy all the expensive gadgets they read on the Web.
Another famous senior on the cyber world is retiring Pope Benedict XVI who has a Twitter account under the handle @Pontifex. However, once he steps down from the papacy on Feb 28, the shepherd of 1.2 billion Catholics will be silenced on cyber space, at least from the @Pontifex account, which has more than 1 million followers.
Whether his successor will continue the policy of tweeting remains to be seen, but it seems there are no Vatican rules prohibiting retired popes from opening personal FB or Twitter accounts while enjoying their sunset years in the Holy See or other mountain resorts.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How