Oracle Says Advanced Financial Software Intended To Reduce Bad Risks
By David Zielenziger | February 22, 2013 9:21 AM EST
Oracle Corp. (NASDAQ:ORCL) announced Thursday three advanced software products for giant financial institutions intended to minimize risk, improve credit analysis and monitor capital requirements. The database products are intended for banks and Wall Street companies that suffered huge losses in the 2008 financial crisis.
The Redwood Shores, Calif., company announced the products in New York, where it conducted a conference for top financial clients, most of which are already Oracle customers.
While clearly unable to prevent mistakes in business judgment, Oracle said the three tools, additions to its enterprise risk management suite, should promote a “proactive risk management culture” and lower costs of compliance with new U.S. securities laws and international capital requirements.
”The platform delivers a consolidated view across the enterprise,” said S. Ramakrishnan, group VP and general manager for Oracle’s financial services analytical applications. “The platform delivers a consolidated view of risk across the enterprise.”
Prices weren’t specified.
After the collapse of Wall Street investment banks like Bear Stearns and Lehman Brothers, investigators determined that many financial institutions had little or no knowledge of the total risk potential of their massive global investment portfolios. Even large banks like Goldman Sachs (NYSE:GS) used hundreds of employees to assess risk after then-CFO David Viniar became concerned before the worst of the financial crisis.
Oracle, as well as rivals such as Germany’s SAP (NYSE:SAP), International Business Machines Corp. (NYSE:IBM) and Tibco Software Inc. (NASDAQ:TIBC), have spent the past five years devising new applications that would assemble all risks in one place for analysis.
Oracle said its financial services model risk management tool should permit clients to assess flaws in their investment models and allow for constant assessment of risk. The credit risk management tool can take information from a variety of sources to quickly identify portfolio risk.
For banks, new Basel regulatory capital software is intended to assist clients with remaining current with the latest international banking standards with what the company said is a “ready to use” analytical solution.
Oracle said its software is used by all of the top 20 banks and insurance companies, nine of the top 10 securities companies, four of the top five mutual funds complexes and four of the top five stock exchanges.
Shares of Oracle closed Thursday at $34.28, down 73 cents. They’ve gained 3 percent this year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 New Teaser Video, Spoilers: ‘Don’t Hesitate, They Won’t’
- 'Castle' Season 6 Spoilers: Episode 6 To Explore The Question What If Castle And Beckett Never Met -- Report
- FIA Revises Ban On Radio And Pit Board Communication
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- 'Downton Abbey' Spoilers: 'Surprising New Stories' In Season 5, George Clooney's Cameo Appearance
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best