Are Apple and Samsung Tiring the Courts Out?
By Aabha Rathee | February 22, 2013 9:29 AM EST
It looks like the judicial powers are getting tired of all the patent-infringement related bickering. A judge has asked Apple ( in 2014, telling the two companies the current purview was too wide.
U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh ruled in San Jose, California, on Thursday that Apple and Samsung needed to “focus and streamline” their cases to 25 patent claims and 25 accused products, Reuters said. If not, she would put the case on hold, Koh warned.
Last week, Koh had asked the two companies to agree to freeze this dispute while an appeals court reviewed a verdict in an earlier case.
“We’ll keep narrowing and narrowing,” Koh said on Thursday. “You’ve already been litigating this thing for a year; you must know something about what’s your best case.”
The case, filed last year, covers used in relatively newer devices for both companies and include both Samsung’s Galaxy S III handset and Apple’s iPhone 5. Last week, Apple also added the Korean company’s Galaxy Note to the case. Samsung’s allegations, meanwhile, cover “all generations” of Apple’s iPhone and iPads.
Samsung attorney Kevin Johnson told the court on Thursday that the was willing to suspend the lawsuit, but Apple lawyer Josh Krevitt said it would oppose the request. Koh said she would consider the Korean company’s motion when it is filed, but even if the case went ahead, it would have to get smaller.
“As this case as it is currently framed, I’m refusing to go forward,” she said.
The earlier decision that is under appeal had Apple more than $1 billion in damages in August. Last month, Koh also rejected Apple’s requests to add additional damages and ban sales of Samsung devices that were found to violate patents.
Copyright Wall St. Cheat Street. All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans